1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Asking Santa for a chainsaw - need advice!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chickbea, Nov 8, 2011.

1. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Not sure what category to put this under -
    I know there's guys on here with very distinct opinions about chainsaws [​IMG] - I need help!
    My husband's chainsaw is too heavy and big for me to use, it's always squirting gas at me, it's smelly, and it's a pain to start. The other day I told him I wanted that jaw saw that they are advertising on TV, but he scoffed at that particular product. So, what's a good brand/size chainsaw for me? I don't need it to cut anything more than a 4-5 inch trunk; mostly it would be used to take down saplings and trim branches. I'm 5'7" and about 130 lbs, if that matters. What shall I ask for?

2. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    My hubby got me a 14" Husqvarna last year for Christmas.
    It starts like a dream, isn't too heavy, and does everything that I want it too.
    I did have a McCullough (older model) that was a 12" that I absolutely adored and ran it to death. I couldn't find a McCullough replacement that suited me.

3. artsy1

artsy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    sarasota
    AWESOME..............LADY............one year I asked my DH for a cement mixer, because I am an artist, needed it for my work. People got a kick out of it, I use it alot.

4. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    I've been using my stihl chainsaw for years, cutting several cords each winter. They do make smaller trim saws you should be able to handle.

http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  5. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

I have a Stihl Mini Boss 14" chain saw. It is just the right size for small trees, branches, etc. I am a 54 year old 5'2" woman & have no trouble handling it. DH has a larger Stihl Farm Boss 18" chainsaw. I have had mine for over 5 years and we cut about 5 cords of wood a year, mostly oak, maple & poplar without problems.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  6. Creed Bennett

Creed Bennett Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Western Kentucky
    I have used a 026 Stihl for about 15 years now. I use it for firewood, trail clearing and it came in real handy in the 2009 ice storm. Stihl makes some great chainsaws and you cant go wrong with them. Also Echo is a great saw. I love the Echo string trimmers too.

7. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

8. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    Quote:I have a stihl wood boss. great machines [​IMG]

9. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    I recently saw advertisement for "The claw"!?! by the Worxs? or Works
    Looks like something I could handle. My DH won't teach me to
    work a chainsaw. Says we wouldn't have anything left standing![​IMG]

10. tigercreek

tigercreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Love my Stihl, almost as much as my wife loves her GreenWorks 20 V battery operated saw from Amazon. I was amazed at how much power it has for a battery operated saw. It's easy to grab and go, and I use it a lot for light trimming, especially if I have to climb. I find myself using it pretty often for lighter stuff too . A good complement to the Farm Boss gas Stihl. ......stan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by