Aspergillosis in one day old chic???

MeSing2u

Chirping
Feb 27, 2022
I have 14 baby chicks and they are about 2 days old. One of them is an Ayam Cemani and he/she has been holding its head up opening and closing its mouth. It will chirp fine and it looks healthy, no injuries that I can see. Although it's not eating or drinking on its own. I've been giving it a few drops of honey water throughout the day and tried to give it a little bit of mushy scrambled egg but it's not eating. It basically props its head up on the blanket and opens and close its mouth. You would almost think it's in a dying process but then if you talk to him or pick him up he chirps like a normal chick.
When I looked up the symptoms what came up was Aspergillosis, of course I don't know that that's what it is. All the other chicks are just fine, running around eating and drinking with Mama. Does this sound like that that's what it is? If so, is there anything I can do or will it die?
Thanks all

Last edited:
Can you get some Poultry NutriDrench at your feed store? Give a drop a couple of times a day, and hold water up to the beak. Dip it quickly in the water, then let it swallow. Repeat as often as you can. It is safer to let them drink on their own by dipping the beak for half a second. Put a paper towel down and sprinkle a few chick crumbles around the feet. Were these chicks hatched by you or shipped to you? How warm is your heat source?

Does this sound like that that's what it is? If so, is there anything I can do or will it die?

No, not asper(something). More like maybe it inhaled fluid at hatch or aspirated since then.. can you hear crackling when you hold it close to your ear and it breathes? Some respiratory diseases can pass through hatching eggs also.. infectious bronchitis I *think* for example.

Although it's not eating or drinking on its own. I've been giving it a few drops of honey water throughout the day and tried to give it a little bit of mushy scrambled egg but it's not eating. It basically props its head up on the blanket and opens and close its mouth.
Poultry nutri drench (if you're in the US) has amino acids that are rapid absorbed not requiring digestion and sometimes work miracles. Are you keeping it warm?

ETA.. I aspirated chicks.. dipping beaks.. now if they won't drink when I hold up the offering.. I place them in my hand with beak facing my forefinger and drip just below the nostrils. Chicks naturally swallow when they feel the liquid roll around into their beak.

It could have something stuck in its crop, can you get a picture?
I took a video. I think I'll upload it to YouTube and put the link on here. Just give me a little bit. As far as what I can tell I don't see anything in the crop and I don't feel anything.

It is extremely easy to force ONE drop of liquid down the wrong hole in a chick's mouth. So please stop forcing liquid immediately.
That type of breathing can be because it's already got fluid in its lungs.

Can you get some Poultry NutriDrench at your feed store? Give a drop a couple of times a day, and hold water up to the beak. Dip it quickly in the water, then let it swallow. Repeat as often as you can. It is safer to let them drink on their own by dipping the beak for half a second. Put a paper towel down and sprinkle a few chick crumbles around the feet. Were these chicks hatched by you or shipped to you? How warm is your heat source?
I can get it at my local tractor supply. I'll have to get it tomorrow.

It is extremely easy to force ONE drop of liquid down the wrong hole in a chick's mouth. So please stop forcing liquid immediately.
That type of breathing can be because it's already got fluid in its lungs.
I haven't forced any liquids. I only started giving it honey water through a syringe. I had a bead of liquid at the tip of the syringe and I would put it to the tip of its mouth. It would take the liquid that way. I wasn't forcing it.

Back
Top Bottom