Asphalt right under the dirt in the coop I'm fixing up?

metalman488

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 2, 2014
Texas
So my coop is about 25' x 25' (rough estimate) and about a quarter of it in one corner is walled off. I think it used to be a feed storage room. This coop used to be used as a coop about 10 years ago by the last owners of the house, but it has been used for storage since. There are bits of plastic and cardboard trash on the dirt floor and I've been trying to rake it all up, but I don't think I can get all of it, so I decided to uses my dad's little electric tiller to mix the dirt up and then cover it up with pine shavings. The problem is that when I tried to till the little storage room I found out that their is asphalt about a centimeter under the dirt. I didn't realize this at first, so I have already used the tiller to break up about half of it. :/ Should I leave the rest and cover it with shavings, or should I break the rest and then cover it with shavings? (after picking up all the bits of asphalt) By the way, I'm planning on letting my chickens live in the storage room until I finish the outer part.

That would have been a good place to keep all stuff chicken, like the takes wood chips shovel extra feeders. But if you plan on keepin chickens there I would take it out so chicken waste can go through the dirt

Yea shouldn't be any problem just clean it every now and then. You can always buy a few bags of cement and pour yourself a new floor, or you could get a pallet and stack your feed on it

well its just going to be until i finish the outside. couldnt i just lay the shavings down for the chicken waste and then clean it up? and did i just ruin that room as far as storage goes?

Back
Top Bottom