Assisted Hatching - Hen Squashed Egg (GRAPHIC PHOTO)

Offshoreorca

Whale Whisperer
Apr 15, 2020
Nova Scotia
My Coop
My Coop
It's been an eventful past 12 hours, but I thought I would share what I have learned with you. Now, I will add a disclaimer that I am a marine biologist who comes from a family of veterinarians, so this is definitely not my first exposure to assisted hatching.

I had two Day 21ish eggs in the coop under my broody silkie - my "second incubator". I had cleaned my sole incubator and put in my Marans eggs as they were sold to me older than I would have liked. Around noon, I went out to check on the eggs and noticed that several of the other hens had decided they wanted to nest with the broody silkie. To my horror, I saw that one of the eggs that was to hatch lay crushed beneath the pile. Pretty solidly crushed, blood oozing through the shell fragments - the whole nine. I thought it was a write off for sure, so close to beginning to hatch, yet with the veins still bold and red in the membrane. Regardless, I rushed it inside, stemmed the bleeding as best I could with some flour (what I had on had - and the white stuff in the image) and tucked it underneath the running Titan brooder cradled in some paper towel and in its own bowl to keep the other chicks away. It hadn't even internally pipped yet and I felt devastated.

93B78ADE-4E24-43E4-929E-8381A6ADB7F9.JPG

It's still alive and peeping eleven hours later. I internally pipped it when I brought it in as I could see it was ready to do so. My technique has involved moistening the membrane every half hour and monitoring it closely without fiddling with the chick too much. Still not out of the woods yet, but the absorption of yolk and veins has been progressing well and the chick is getting more active. Still a few hours to go yet I figure - it will be a long night. I know we have good strong and healthy chicks coming from our flock, but this little one seems extremely determined to make it! One more and it will be a full house with all ten viable eggs making it through to hatching :) It's amazing how hardy these little guys can be!

Well, the chick has made it through the night. Took me until about 6am to completely extract it from its shell (as it was still absorbing its yolk and veins) and since then it has been very weak - understandably. I have made up an electrolyte mixture and given it a little bit in hopes that it will help it along. All I can do now is wait.

A2811921-CA78-4514-9FC4-39D745CD9CF6.JPG

The chick isn't holding up its head at all, but I think this is out of exhaustion as it can and does move it sometimes. Also, he/she doesn't open its eyes up much yet. The chick is currently sleeping under the brooder in his bowl and fluffing up slowly. Hopefully it will pull through

I had this same exact situation happen last
September. Momma bird stepped on the egg and crushed it, looked a lot like yours. I brought it inside and did basically what you did. I put it in my brooder with a humidifier because my incubator was on lockdown and full. I used Vaseline with coconut oil in it kept the membrane moist for hours . He ended up being just fine and is now a very pretty rooster!!

Attachments

• 94F587FB-BD9E-496E-AE9D-2631E278998C.jpeg
    94F587FB-BD9E-496E-AE9D-2631E278998C.jpeg
    763.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 87511EE4-6D09-480F-9121-0BA5E4EB3509.jpeg
    87511EE4-6D09-480F-9121-0BA5E4EB3509.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 10
I had this same exact situation happen last
September. Momma bird stepped on the egg and crushed it, looked a lot like yours. I brought it inside and did basically what you did. I put it in my brooder with a humidifier because my incubator was on lockdown and full. I used Vaseline with coconut oil in it kept the membrane moist for hours . He ended up being just fine and is now a very pretty rooster!!

I think it will pull through - just taking a little longer because of the ordeal. Good to hear that others have had success with a similar situation :)

Back
Top Bottom