Assisting Duck Eggs?

Zip

Chirping
Aug 6, 2009
Ontario, Canada
- Back Story -
I have 2 female (not tame) ducks that started setting on some eggs about a week apart, the ducks are only a year old themselves so this is their first hatch. On the first ducks hatch date when I was checking on them I noticed the ducks had put both clutches of eggs in one nest and started setting on them together (a recipe for disaster, I know.) It's been about 3 days and 2 ducklings have hatched so far, but this morning when I went out to check on them I noticed the ducks had moved the nest yet again, leaving 3 eggs behind (2 of which started hatching) so I brought them in and placed them in the incubator with some chicken eggs.

The first egg has a large pip in it, but the membrane was extremely dry to I dampened it with a q-tip and placed it on a wet paper towel in the incubator. The duckling inside seems pretty desperate to get out, chirping and stretching its head up, but hasn't seemed to zip yet. The entire top of the egg is also missing it's outer shell. I'm not sure if I should intervene or not? He seems pretty active but even though he is moving and stretching a lot, there doesn't seem to be much progress. I noticed this egg starting to pip last night before the females moved their nest so he's been pipped for over 12 hours.

The second egg also seems to have pipped and zipped. It too is missing it's outer shell along the entire top of the egg. I looked through the eggs zip and still see a lot of veins so I don't think he was quite ready to hatch (maybe the crack is damage rather than a zip?) I can see his beak but no movement or noise. No blood and all the veins seem to be still intact. Could he still be alive in there?

the third egg is completely intact.

Any suggestions on what I can do for the first two? Should I leave them be or should I intervene? I've helped chicks hatch before but I haven't dealt with a situation quite like this before.

First baby has hatched! He is connected to the shell by what seems like an umbilical type cord? I read something about cutting it before he tears it? This doesn't seem right too me.

Thanks for the link! I actually read through that page already, it was very helpful with the first duckling, but didn't give much info about cases like my second egg. I'm not sure if there is even a living duckling inside anymore. I can see a bit of a beak but haven't seen any movement or heard any peeps from it yet. As I stated earlier I am not so sure he was ready to pip, he still seems to have lots of veins in the membrane (no blood, doesn't seem like any veins were punctured) so I am not sure if I would see any movement anyways.

Saw a small amount of movement in the second egg - finally! It was very minimal. I still don't think he is quite ready to finish hatching as he still has to absorb blood from the membrane, but at least I know he is alive in there. Hopefully he can continue to develop despite the large gash in his egg.

Oh good! I'm glad your first has hatched. I would give the second egg more time, I think he'll be ok. With the third, he could surprise you! Anyway, don't throw it out just yet!!

I found that I had to assist both my ducks in order for them to hatch. I used a technique I learned as a kid. I carefully tap the shell cracking it lightly; I try to mimic a beak tapping on a shell. I do a little at a time around the area that the baby is trying to crack with its beak then I leave it alone and wait to see if the baby can make it out the rest of the way. If not then I do the same thing again, as many times as necessary until the baby is free.

Well, duckling one has been doing good (despite having a curled foot but I plan on making him a shoe and doing some physio with him)

I am not sure about the second egg. He stopped moving again. I think he may be done for.

Back
Top Bottom