HELP - Baby Duck Stuck in Hole

DuckinWild

Hatching
Jul 17, 2023
Hey, hope everyone's having a good day. It's my 1st time hatching duck eggs and I've noticed one seems to be stuck. It's made its hole in the egg, but doesn't seem to be getting any bigger. Has been probably 12hrs since I noticed it pipping more, and maybe 8 since I first saw through the shell. I thought I saw its feet next to the bill too which I've read could be a problem? The other duck has already hatched last night, 8hrs ago, and is moving the egg that hasnt hatched around. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I dont want to help when it's not needed. Shes still breathing but doesnt seem to be trying as hard as the other one did.

Attachments

• 20230717_105521.jpg
    20230717_105521.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230717_105517.jpg
    20230717_105517.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 3
Hey, hope everyone's having a good day. It's my 1st time hatching duck eggs and I've noticed one seems to be stuck. It's made its hole in the egg, but doesn't seem to be getting any bigger. Has been probably 12hrs since I noticed it pipping more, and maybe 8 since I first saw through the shell. I thought I saw its feet next to the bill too which I've read could be a problem? The other duck has already hatched last night, 8hrs ago, and is moving the egg that hasnt hatched around. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I dont want to help when it's not needed. Shes still breathing but doesnt seem to be trying as hard as the other one did.
Welcome to BYC!
The hole looks too small for him to push out of.
Is he still yawning? Try candling the pointy end in a dark room and see if you see any veins.

Welcome to BYC!
The hole looks too small for him to push out of.
Is he still yawning? Try candling the pointy end in a dark room and see if you see any veins.
Thanks :D , and yeah I agree about the hole. I dont think I've noticed yawning, just mostly moving his mouth and chirping every so often. I would candle/help, but I'm scared of the drop in humidity and temperatures when I open the incubator :(

I hope he gets out soon :confused:, his sibling is waiting
20230717_113833.jpg

Thanks :D , and yeah I agree about the hole. I dont think I've noticed yawning, just mostly moving his mouth and chirping every so often. I would candle/help, but I'm scared of the drop in humidity and temperatures when I open the incubator :(

I hope he gets out soon :confused:, his sibling is waitingView attachment 3579724
Moving his mouth would be the chewing/yawning motion I mentioned. That means he's still absorbing yolk. Do you have a spray bottle you can mist in there with?
Don't worry about opening the incubator to check on him. It's not long enough to do anything and it's pointless to keep temp and humidity stable if he's going to die without help anyway. He can't get out of the hole so you're going to have to help him no matter what. I'd be candling hourly to check the veins, when you see that they're all gone and there's just a pale yellowy area he's ready. You need to be watching for that because if you miss it he's going to get worn out and die.

Moving his mouth would be the chewing/yawning motion I mentioned. That means he's still absorbing yolk. Do you have a spray bottle you can mist in there with?
Don't worry about opening the incubator to check on him. It's not long enough to do anything and it's pointless to keep temp and humidity stable if he's going to die without help anyway. He can't get out of the hole so you're going to have to help him no matter what. I'd be candling hourly to check the veins, when you see that they're all gone and there's just a pale yellowy area he's ready. You need to be watching for that because if you miss it he's going to get worn out and die.
Went ahead and steamed the bathroom by turning on the hot water, then took some tweezers and peeled away the shell. I didnt see much blood vessels when candeling, once I got alot of the shell off I put it back in the incubator and it hatched within 20 mins :):wee

Now its buddy keeps trying to play lol :D thanks so much for the help, you played a big part in saving the little guy :D

Attachments

• 20230717_132934.jpg
    20230717_132934.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230717_133831.jpg
    20230717_133831.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom