Day 27 duck eggs pipping- first time hatching

Amanda052389

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 19, 2014
Schodack, NY
This morning around 4:30 am I noticed 3 of my 4 duck eggs had started to pip. All are starting on the large end but one is towards the bottom and the other two are towards the top. The fourth has nothing yet. I have a few questions as this is my first time hatching anything.
How can I tell if they’ve gotten through the air sac? Do I have to candle them and is that safe to do this late?

The one that pipped but is down should I turn it over? (I’ve read a few different things on that so really unsure)

One egg has a lot of movement going on and a much larger area than the other two but it’s all clumped together. It’s not zipping around. Is that ok?

The other egg that was facing upward has moved about a quarter of the way around the incubator in about 5 minutes. I didn’t see it do it but it just seemed like a lot of movement so quickly. Is that normal?

Lastly, the egg that has no pip or movement I’ve been concerned about the entire hatch. It had a small crack that I repaired with beeswax and it has been developing all along. Should I candle it to make sure it’s still vital?

Sorry for the long post! I’ve read so much and now that it’s happening I’m second guessing myself! I’ll attach some pictures of the eggs.
7E6D28E7-467A-4A6B-AC58-715AEC2429FC.jpeg
F3132504-46CB-48C3-B69E-3181AAD7B712.jpeg
A1C25147-B10E-4591-BA4E-0C729B3A8A8D.jpeg

Last edited:
How can I tell if they’ve gotten through the air sac?
Candle them and draw a line one the air sac. If the external pip is above the line, they are in the air sac.
Do I have to candle them and is that safe to do this late?
It's not too late and it is safe.
The one that pipped but is down should I turn it over? (I’ve read a few different things on that so really unsure)
I always place them "pip up".
One egg has a lot of movement going on and a much larger area than the other two but it’s all clumped together. It’s not zipping around. Is that ok?
The picture of your eggs look normal to me. How do they look today?
The other egg that was facing upward has moved about a quarter of the way around the incubator in about 5 minutes. I didn’t see it do it but it just seemed like a lot of movement so quickly. Is that normal?
That does seem like a lot of movement.
Lastly, the egg that has no pip or movement I’ve been concerned about the entire hatch. It had a small crack that I repaired with beeswax and it has been developing all along. Should I candle it to make sure it’s still vital?
Candle it.
Sorry for the long post! I’ve read so much and now that it’s happening I’m second guessing myself! I’ll attach some pictures of the eggs.
The three eggs with pips look normal to me.

How do they look now?

Update: the egg with the largest pip and a lot of movement has broken through and I can see the beak poke out occasionally.
Candle them and draw a line one the air sac. If the external pip is above the line, they are in the air sac.

It's not too late and it is safe.

I always place them "pip up".

The picture of your eggs look normal to me. How do they look today?

That does seem like a lot of movement.

Candle it.

The three eggs with pips look normal to me.

How do they look now?
Thank you for all the information! Two hatched last night around 9:45pm at the exact same time. Then around 1am the third one (that I had to turn over) started making a lot of progress and hatched around 9:30 this morning. All three are doing great! I think the fourth egg that I had to repair a crack on early on is a goner. Waiting for them to finish drying then off to the brooder!

Attachments

• 1380E04E-329B-4D06-B10C-2A9A78070ABA.jpeg
    1380E04E-329B-4D06-B10C-2A9A78070ABA.jpeg
    411.3 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom