At what age can my Pekins hit the big pond?

Yep I always envy folks with huge ponds but if I had one I probably wouldn't want my water fowl on it after seeing what snapping turtles can do and then all the other predators out there lurking. Everyone is right it is a decision you have to be comfortable with. Getting them home to a secure house is another thing to think about.

74BAA418-7523-4E50-AE25-325171652794.jpeg
258B3E36-A3B3-472A-AA71-03730F9F512A.jpeg
74BAA418-7523-4E50-AE25-325171652794.jpeg 258B3E36-A3B3-472A-AA71-03730F9F512A.jpeg

So the big ducks are seven weeks and the five smaller ones are four weeks. It I’d hard to tell but the picture with the pool shows them in their little yard that has chicken wire at the t-post but you can see how far it is to the big pond.

Next week I’m going to move the temporary fence from where it is and run it from the house to the pond and start letting them free range. The food will stay in their pen in hopes I can ge. Them to come back at night. It will be interesting to see how long it takes them to find the big pond.

We only have three ducks, and we let them loose around 3-4 months, just because that's what felt right. They always came off the water around dusk, and sometimes we have had to shoo them into their barn, but now a few month later and they are putting themselves in the barn every night. We did have a short span where a new duck showed up on our pond and they would not go to bed, but other than that it's all been easy peasy.

That's an exception not the rule with how many have been on here saying once their ducks found the pond they couldn't get them off it for night time. That's great yours did.

Back
Top Bottom