At what age do cockerels mature and start crowing?

My marans started at 17 weeks, he also has little spurs growing and is mounting the ladies. My 21 week old welsummer and 25 week old cream legbar however are still not doing any of that!!!

I have a very beautiful/handsome Gold Laced Wyandotte named Saffron. Hatched in late Feb and purchased as a pullet/peep. Now is huge and beautiful....like boy beautiful. Big iridescent tail with long narrow feathers cascading around collar and tail base. Looks like a Roo to me, but there has been no attempts to crow, mount or fight with my micro Serama Roo (who wouldn't stand a chance)
Is there a chance this is a hen, or do I have a quiet, kindly roo?

I've been keeping my eye on my 5 wk old barred rock suspecting she is a he. Then he crowed this morning and now I know for sure! So funny, it was more like a croak! I've also got a buff orpington that is a cockerel but no crowing from him yet. (same age).

I don't know about crowing cocks but I had a buff hen who layed wonderfully, AND started CROWING, YES CROWING at 20 weeks. First couple of times, Thought I had lost my mind, and try explaining that to a 5 year old. I live in country and the old neighbors said it was bad luck to have a crowing hen. Confused little kids who can by but was quite amusing, since I didn't even own a roo at the time.

My beautiful blue Ameraucana boy 'Manfred' just crowed his first time at 26 weeks!! He only crows 3-5 times in the morning when my husband feeds them and then goes to work before sunrise and then he is silent for the rest of the day. He has not tried to mount the girls yet and is the biggest scary-cat :). Such a sweet boy too. I guess the hormones haven't kicked in yet

I have an EE cockerel about 12wks old. I know it is a boy because of the feathering and over look of this bird, but we have not had any crowing yet and I was wondering when he would start showing an interest in our girls. We have 5 girls that are 18wks and the other 5 are 12wks.

This picture was taken at 10wks.

A crowing cockerel is in no way a mature rooster. Roosters are not grown until they finish their first adult molt. This is around 2 years old. Sexual maturity is not a good predictor of age related issues in cockerels, any more than it is in teenage boys.

Back
Top Bottom