At what age do Muscovy ducks start laying?

Sarah3688

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 12, 2013
I've got some Muscovy ducks, aged around 14 weeks and was just wondering at what age they would start laying?

welcome-byc.gif
sorry I don't know much about ducks but, if you go to the "Other Backyard Poultry" section of BYC, you will find threads regarding ducks, geese, quail etc. Some one should be along to answer your duck questions.

Muscovy are usually much more seasonal in their laying than mallard derived breeds. Usually 4-6 months but if they are not at that age in spring or early summer they are likely to not start laying until the following spring.

A lot depends on where you live. If you have harsh winters, don't expect laying until spring. If you have mild winters than they could begin laying this year.

I live in north Alabama. Last year I had ducks hatched around March that began laying occasionally in September. One went broody in October ( I DON'T recommend allowing that though) and I had ducklings hatch in December, then January and March. We got snow and below freezing temps during the first broody's time on the nest. So, a lot is up to them. Out of those hatches, I had 1 go broody and 1 or 2 lay for a bit but that is it and they have stopped for a few weeks now.

Back
Top Bottom