At which age will a Rooster start crowing?

Mine started at about 9 or 10 weeks, really pathetic attempts but they are getting better... still more funny than annoying! They crow in the predawn gloom, but also if we're a little slow getting the feeders filled they will crow for attention.

I have 5 boys for now. My flock is just over 10 weeks old and my Lakenvelder started crowing at 8 weeks. He's getting really good already. One or two others (EEs) started crowing last week, but they aren't doing it as regularly as the Lakenvelder. He also is the first of my flock to sounds like an adult chicken, meaning he actually says, "Bockbockbockbockbock" a lot rather than the cheeping sounds the rest of them are still making. He bocks almost constantly, especially in the mornings. I've seen pullets peck him in the head to make him shut up
lol.png

My oldest Delaware just crowed for the first time, that we know of, yesterday. I was watching a video on the net when my wife came in and said he woke her up crowing outside the bedroom window. I listened and sure enough he crowed several more times. This morning he was crowing within just a few minutes of the coop being opened. He continued for about 30 minutes and stopped for an hour or so and then had another crowing spell with 8-10 crows. He is not the biggest, but he is dominate. Neither pullets nor other roosters mess with him. The good part is that he is not aggressive and mean to the others. He just does his thing, minding his own business unless someone gets in his way. He is 19 weeks old. I thought none of them would ever crow, but now he has made me proud!

My roo still hasn’t crowed and he’s 5 months!

Attachments

• 65A3AEC0-EDF3-47BA-9FDC-2E96E0075A4E.jpeg
    65A3AEC0-EDF3-47BA-9FDC-2E96E0075A4E.jpeg
    611.2 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom