Ataxia - HELP please 8 week cockerel

LizzychicksDottyhen

In the Brooder
May 30, 2017
Hi, after some urgent advise, my 8 week cockerel was perfect yesterday, today has acute ataxia. He is walking about to stay with mum but sits down as soon as he stops. Cant jump or walk far without falling over. His legs shake if you pick him up. Seems well otherwise, although this is making him miserable. What can I do for him? Should I seperate him from the flock?

Feel soo bad for my poor little chap. Its soo hard to tell what it is thats caused this. He is not paralysed but cannot stand or walk for more than a few moments without toppling over. And he keeps panting too. He is bright and well otherwise. Just two days ago he was marching around proud and upright, playing with his brother and sisters, that morning he crowed for the first time! The saddest part is I have seperated him to protect the flock but he so desperately wants to be back with his mummy he is only a baby.

Hi, after some urgent advise, my 8 week cockerel was perfect yesterday, today has acute ataxia. He is walking about to stay with mum but sits down as soon as he stops. Cant jump or walk far without falling over. His legs shake if you pick him up. Seems well otherwise, although this is making him miserable. What can I do for him? Should I seperate him from the flock?
I would take him aside, and make sure that he is getting plenty of fluids. Offer some feed mixed with lots of water like runny oatmeal. Dehydration or overheating can cause imbalance, but in chicks this age, I would also look at possible coccidiosis as a cause. They usually act sleepy, stand around hunched or puffed up, have runny poops, and won't eat. Amprollium (Coxoid, Corid) is the usual treatment in the water for 7 days. I would treat all chickens at once if you think this is the problem.

I would take him aside, and make sure that he is getting plenty of fluids. Offer some feed mixed with lots of water like runny oatmeal. Dehydration or overheating can cause imbalance, but in chicks this age, I would also look at possible coccidiosis as a cause. They usually act sleepy, stand around hunched or puffed up, have runny poops, and won't eat. Amprollium (Coxoid, Corid) is the usual treatment in the water for 7 days. I would treat all chickens at once if you think this is the problem.

We did have a heat wave, and that day was the hottest, over 33°c so I wandered if maybe he was dehydrated hes been drinking from a syringe but not alot, and not any improvement. Im just waiting for some liquid vits to arrive in the post. He has been enjoying wet bread so hopefully that will help hydrate him.

Back
Top Bottom