ate a toad and limping

duckiesrule

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 20, 2012
Western Massachusetts
So, apparently my mother saw my three indian runners fighting over a toad yesterday ... the culmination of said fight being that one of my ducks swallowed the toad. Is that just a weird story or should I be worried? I don't think toads are on the approved list of delicacies for ducks ...

On a (probably) unrelated note, that same duck began limping yesterday. We brought her inside and let her relax in the bath by herself. I checked the bottom of her foot and noticed a small bump with a crack across it. I have read a little about bumblefoot. I'm thinking this is probably the beginning of that ... is there anything I can do to prevent infection? Its probably just at the cut stage now ... though the bump sounds like descriptions of bumblefoot. I know this topic has been talked to death, but how does one tell the difference between a cut and "bumblefoot".

Thanks

I wouldn't worry about the toad. My birds have caught a few and never had any ill effects.

Can you get a picture of the wound? It's a lot easier to verify with a picture. I've only had to deal with it once so I can't give much advice on the difference between the two.

There are normal bumps on the bottoms of duck feet, just callouses, and that can make it harder to be sure if there is a bumble starting up.

But limping can be early bumblefoot or a pulled muscle, or a few other things.

A nice swim in lukewarm water will help a pull or a sprain. Epsom salts compress will help all of the above. Es is a laxative so don't just let the duck swim in an Es bath. Dissolve some in warm water and soak a clean rag and then wrap the foot and hold it for s few minutes. You may need a helper, but sometimes we can do it solo if the duck cooperates.
roll.png

For bumblefoot, I follow up the Epsom salts compress with a slathering of triple antibiotic (non painkiller variety).

I would do the Epsom salts compresses with triple antibiotic ointment afterward. If you are pressed for time, or the poor dear is just too fussy, go with a slathering of ointment two to three times a day for the first four days or so. If it is bumblefoot, I would expect the limp to go away after three or four days. That is how it has been with my runners.

Back
Top Bottom