Attaching plastic to run?

RoseCassFarm

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 23, 2013
Connecticut
I have a PVC run with hardwire cloth on the bottom and chicken wire toward the top. I've been wanting to attach plastic sheeting to serve as a bit of a wind/weather barrier to the walls of the run. I'm trying to figure out how to go about it to minimize tearing. Any ideas?

My run is hardware cloth. In the Winter when I receive a lot of snow.... to block that snow from entering the run I purchased PVC lattice and thick transparent plastic. I staple the plastic on one side of the lattice and I then hang the lattice with hooks onto the run. When it's a sunny day... I remove the lattice and put them aside. This has worked great for me...

I used an old boat cover to wrap my run on 2 1/2 sides because it is up against the garage, material is heavy canvas then in the front I made a frame with strapping and sandwiched a clear shower curtain in between the wood, it gives it the greenhouse effect during the day, it stays dry all winter.

🤔 not home at the moment but might be 4’. Then three or four panels cut in half might cover the bottom half as a wind break of sorts. I’m just thinking of the wind actually grabbing the panels unless they over lap and have a hundred zip ties.
Looks like I should experiment with a piece or two. I wondered about running the widest longest 6 mil I can find attaching it to 4x4 on one side and rolling it over to the other side and attaching it to another 4x4?
But that’s a lot of expensive wood since each side is 12 1/5’ wide.
I have the same type of run as you (different roof shape, but otherwise very similar). I'm planning to zip tie 1/2" pvc to the hardware cloth, about 3ft up, leaving the top 12" or so open for ventilation. Then I'm going to use 1/2" pvc clamps to fasten the 6mil sheeting to the pvc pipes. I'm going to leave an apron (held down with heavy rocks or bricks) at the bottom so when snow melts it doesn't leak in underneath. I don't know if that makes sense, lol.

Here's pics (the red line is where I'm planning to attach the pvc pipe, and the red dots are where I'll place weights and let about 18" of apron extend out past). Also, the entire roof is now covered in tarp (That's why I'm leaving the space between the pvc and the horizontal bar)
20220921_181106~2.jpg
Screenshot_20221003-092717_Home Depot.jpg
Screenshot_20221003_092606.jpg

i went with 6mm thick polycarbonate panels to avoid any tearing issues from plastic sheeting and because i don’t like the way tarps look.

i screwed then right into the framing of the run

398B5272-5036-4EB1-85EA-5B18964552DC.jpeg

If you're leaving the ends open, that should be plenty of ventilation, so you could just attach the pvc to the horizontal bar! :)

Or, since you don't have hardware cloth, you might be able to skip the pvc pipe and use greenhouse clamps to attach the 6mil to the metal bars:
View attachment 3281388
Oh that’s soooo helpful! That is exactly what we’ll do!

Very cool.
Our wind is so bad here. We will need to have the sides come to the ground to block it.
We put bales of straw around the bottom each year, this year we are putting the sheets to the ground and leaving the top space open to prevent blowing snow into the run/coop, not sure why it took me so long to realize this! :)

Back
Top Bottom