Attaching plastic to run?

RoseCassFarm

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 23, 2013
Connecticut
I have a PVC run with hardwire cloth on the bottom and chicken wire toward the top. I've been wanting to attach plastic sheeting to serve as a bit of a wind/weather barrier to the walls of the run. I'm trying to figure out how to go about it to minimize tearing. Any ideas?

It would have to be a very thick plastic. Unless you already have the plastic I'd opt for a tarp. More durable and have the eyelets to secure it to run.

Put a rock or ball in the plastic & cord around that. Use the tag end of the cord to tie to the enclosure. That should hold about as well as it's going to....it's what I do with a non grommeted tarp.

My run is hardware cloth. In the Winter when I receive a lot of snow.... to block that snow from entering the run I purchased PVC lattice and thick transparent plastic. I staple the plastic on one side of the lattice and I then hang the lattice with hooks onto the run. When it's a sunny day... I remove the lattice and put them aside. This has worked great for me...

Do you have any pictures?

My run is hardware cloth.  In the Winter when I receive a lot of snow.... to block that snow from entering the run I purchased PVC lattice and thick transparent plastic.  I staple the plastic on one side of the lattice and I then hang the lattice with hooks onto the run.  When it's a sunny day... I remove the lattice and put them aside.  This has worked great for me...

I know it is not quite the same but we put clear window plastic on our runs in the winter. We roll wooden stickers at the ends and screw that to the frame, it works great blocks the wind and allows the sun to shine in the runs.

As per your request, here is a picture I took with my phone. Please note that the chicken tractor on the left is not used! Also, the plastic you see on the top was added recently because of this polar vortex we are in but normally I don't cover those areas as snow doesn't come in that high. And finally, you will see a big piece of class leaning on the door. I did this to keep the snow away by the door. It makes opening the door much easier when we have big snow storms! That door pulls out instead of in.

I used an old boat cover to wrap my run on 2 1/2 sides because it is up against the garage, material is heavy canvas then in the front I made a frame with strapping and sandwiched a clear shower curtain in between the wood, it gives it the greenhouse effect during the day, it stays dry all winter.

Back
Top Bottom