Attack by a hawk

I have WHAT in my yard?

Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
Eggberg, PA
The flock got attacked by a hawk yesterday.

One hen got hit pretty bad, but survived. I got to them when the hawk was still attacking. She has talon marks on her back and is limping some. I was frantic to gather the flock back together and so just got her and made sure she wasn't in real bad shape and put her back in the coop.

This morning she looks a little shaky and is still limping, but she ate well and walked round some. I can't tell yet if the others will pick on her or not. She has no red spots visible. The damage is all under her feathers.

I have to leave to go to work today and will not be able to check on her until later I can't even get her out of the flock to put her indoors because the whole flock will get out and I don;t want them out today.

What should I look for? I am on my own this week with no DH to help with either the flock or the coop. I don't think I can free range them any more. It's too hard on me.

Good luck with her. I used to love when I saw the hawks fly by. Now that I own my girls, I chace them away!

Make sure the rest of the flock isn't picking on her. If they do, separate her until she is better. I would still look her over for wounds and treat them. Don't use an antibiotic ointment with painkiller in it, use the plain. Other than that, quiet time and rest will be good for her.

You might want to think about giving them something more to do in the run, if they're used to free ranging. There are lots of suggestions on the forum for hanging cabbages, tossing in greens, etc. Some chickens adjust to life in a run better than others. It helps to give them things to climb on and hide behind in a run, too.

I hope she feels better, soon.

Back
Top Bottom