ATTACKED DUCK HELP!!!

JNC

Songster
May 5, 2020
Kendallville Indiana, US
WARNING‼️the following images may be disturbing/disgusting to some people please scroll on your own risk.
yesterday my neighbors dog attacked all my ducks unfortunately one out of the five died and the rest are terribly injured. When the tech happened we had no idea what to do so we just put Band-Aids on the injuries of the ducks, the next day we took the bandage off and took a better look at the injuries. The male Peking duck has A bald spot of missing feathers and a 1 inch hole next to the missing feathers. This is the worst of all the injuries, The duck is acting normal walking, going into his pool and only eating his treats but not eating his food he’s itching a lot his injury and trirs to flap his wings.
What can I do about his missing feathers? What can I do about the hole?
C1829335-63A8-47C6-957C-797DC892B371.jpeg

WARNING‼the following images may be disturbing/disgusting to some people please scroll on your own risk.
yesterday my neighbors dog attacked all my ducks unfortunately one out of the five died and the rest are terribly injured. When the tech happened we had no idea what to do so we just put Band-Aids on the injuries of the ducks, the next day we took the bandage off and took a better look at the injuries. The male Peking duck has A bald spot of missing feathers and a 1 inch hole next to the missing feathers. This is the worst of all the injuries, The duck is acting normal walking, going into his pool and only eating his treats but not eating his food he’s itching a lot his injury and trirs to flap his wings.
What can I do about his missing feathers? What can I do about the hole?View attachment 2279538
Clean the wound by flushing with saline solution if you have some, or use a solution like Vetericyn. The idea is to clean any debris out of the wound because dog puncture wounds can become easily infected.
I would trim any feathers stuck in wound . Put an antibiotic ointment on and a nonstick gauze pad, and wrap with ribbon gauze or vet tape.
Keep the duck in a warm dry place like a dog crate if you have one with his food and water. Keep him clean and dry.

Clean the wound by flushing with saline solution if you have some, or use a solution like Vetericyn. The idea is to clean any debris out of the wound because dog puncture wounds can become easily infected.
I would trim any feathers stuck in wound . Put an antibiotic ointment on and a nonstick gauze pad, and wrap with ribbon gauze or vet tape.
Keep the duck in a warm dry place like a dog crate if you have one with his food and water. Keep him clean and dry.
Yep, infection is a biggie with dog bites/punctures. I dont know much about antibiotics ducks can safely take but it would be worthwhile looking into them.

I NEED HELP!! So I covered it up. I cleaned it with alcohol and then put a bit of triple antibiotic ointment on it. Then put a gauze and put a bandaid over that to keep the gauze in place. Then put some tape over it. He keeps itching it and taking it off! Even with the tape he’s strong enough to get it off. Any suggestions? I am now cleaning their coop every day. And dumped their kiddie pool so he can’t get it wet He acts fine. I saw him eating this morning. But they are all still traumatized because when I take them out in the morning they step out really slowly. How do I keep the covering on???

I would just keep him clean and dry. If you really want to bandage it, use vet wrap. But not too tight! I’ve done it in a figure 8 around the body & under the wings

How do you do figure 8? And when should o take it off? He got injured on Wednesday.

start under the front on the left wing, go under the body and come up over the right wing, then go the opposite way, so you have a figure 8. Not tight though, just snug enough to hold everything in. I would do a bug spray safe for poultry on the bandage. I wouldn’t wrap longer than 7-10 days. It needs air too.

I need help. Turns out he doesn’t only have one hole. He actually has 4. I don’t know if I should cover it or not. Could it get infected if i don’t cover it? He keeps itching it. I feel completely useless for not finding out he had four holes. I’m 13 years old trying to help my duck. My parents don’t know anything about ducks so this is why I joined. My parents don’t like spending lots of money on my ducks because they are “ducks” yes I agree but I’ve gotten to attached. We have something similar to vet tape but the kind that is more like cloth and doesn’t stick. I wish I could Bring him inside but we don’t have a dog crate and that wouldn’t stop him from itching it. I feel like him itching is making it worse by getting it infected or irritating it. And I don’t know how I would wrap it just because of the location of the holes. I will take pictures and show you where the holes are located. He acts completely normal as if nothing ever happened. He eats and everything but has punctures. I just feel useless because I don’t know what to do. I love him so much I don’t want him to die. It’s already been 5 days since the attack and I can’t think of anything.
E076500B-E2EB-480B-83F6-D4669C554BA6.jpeg

I put this one on few that’s ago but he couldn’t flap his wings. I put it under his wings but he somehow managed to take it off. So I’ve been using a a gauze then sticking it on him with tape but it’s useless because no tape sticks to him and even if it sticks a litttle but he starts pulling and taking off. My mom told me to just put the triple antibiotic ointment but I know that he will itch and eat it. Since I can’t bring him inside I keep their coop clean by cleaning it daily. does anyone have any advice? @Isaac 0

Back
Top Bottom