Attacking rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SLM, Mar 22, 2009.

1. SLM

SLM Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Northern Ontario
    My brother has 5 hens and a rooster.

Apparently the rooster was 1 of three and the other two were more vicious, as a result are now resting in the freezer.

My sister-in-law's father said you have to have a rooster or the hens will all try and take his place, causing you to have attacking hens.

Is it true? Do you need a rooster?

If so, what would be the best breed to purchase?

2. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    No, not at all! It is perfectly normal to have all hens. One becomes the lead hen and in our experience is not as aggressive as a rooster. (Olympia ((our lead hen)) did crow yesterday though. That happens sometimes... their voice adjusts.)

3. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    I have all hens, and none have the habit of attacking me (except, perhaps, when the room service comes a little later than usual [​IMG] ). As SLM said, one will take over being lead hen and will be a little more 'manly' and tough than the others, but not to the extent of the rooster.

SLM, crowing?! Seriously?! Is it like a rooster crow or like a really loud hen call? I've never heard of that happening before!

4. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

I have four separate groups of all hens and none have ever attacked me. In one group, though, there is one that is the loudest, largest, and most aggresive. However, even she doesn't cause any problems at all. You just KNOW she is there! [​IMG] Genie

P.S. Yes, I have heard of crowing hens but have never actually witnessed it!

5. SLM

SLM Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Northern Ontario
    I am so happy (as are my hubby and boys) to know that we don't need a rooster.

Are some breeds just way more aggressive?

I haven't seen my brother's chickens so I don't know what breed they are.

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I have a hen that crows. I was told getting a rooster would cause her to not be the dominant chicken any more and the crowing would stop.

Right ! She still crows. And by the way, she lays 6 eggs a week as her 'other' hobby. [​IMG]

7. SLM

SLM Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Northern Ontario
    Hey, nobody says a gal can't do it all. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by