Attempt#2, looking for advise

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickenKatie, Mar 18, 2009.

  1. ChickenKatie

    ChickenKatie In the Brooder

    Mar 18, 2009
    In my first hatch I had about 20 chicks make it out of the eggs, 24 hours later they were moved to the brooder, and 24 hours after that they started chirping loudly, and flopping all over the brooder limply. They started suddenly seizing, and almost looked like they were choking. I did all i could but they all died with in the next 10 minutes. I was completely devastated! The brooder temp was correct, clean, had food and water (were drinking), and I had added the correct vitamin solution. I called the lady who sold the eggs to me, she said it sounded like a bacteria that may have spread through the the flock while they were still in their eggs, or just after hatching. I'm giving it another go, but I'm looking for some advise from anyone who has had something like this happen, or anyone who wants to take the time to write me. I'm using a different brooder this time, a larger cardboard box with paper towels for the first few days, and pine shavings after that. I have a drop light with a heat lamp that I monitor the temperature of. The chicks will have medicated feed and vitamin enriched water. I'm very nervous about this next batch, they are hatching in about 5 days. Anyone with any advise that could help me avoid another disaster I would so welcome! Thank you!!
  2. toletiquesbysam

    toletiquesbysam Songster

    Sep 19, 2008
  3. gypsy2621

    gypsy2621 Songster

    Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    wow very bizzar.

    can I ask why you give vitamins to babys just out of the shell?
    I would tend to think it may be a vitamin overload?
    I am not sure and no expert here, but vitamins in too strong a dosage will be deadly.
  4. clhbubba

    clhbubba Songster

    Nov 9, 2008
    Central Oklahoma
    Just a thought, if you had your chicks in the house, do you use non-stick cookware? If so, that could have killed them. It's toxic to birds. Probably a long shot, thought I would mention it just in case. I'm sure the whole situation was devistating and frustrating also. I'm sorry for your loss.
  5. ChickenKatie

    ChickenKatie In the Brooder

    Mar 18, 2009
    I mentioned the non-stick cookware thing to my family, and something clicked. We realized we were actually cooking when they became ill, I'm leaning toward this theory, because they were perfectly healthy up to that point, and just died so suddenly. I'm going to get rid of the pans before this new batch arrives, they're not good for us either! Thank you, thank you for the advise!
  6. Big Red's Mom

    Big Red's Mom Songster

    Nov 15, 2008
    Terry, Mississippi
    I am so sorry to hear about your chicks......Good Luck with the next batch.
  7. Autumn Mama

    Autumn Mama Songster

    Mar 15, 2009
    British Columbia,
    I would have been devastated too. [​IMG]

    ~~~~Wishes for thriving and vibrant babies sent your way~~~~~
  8. Gazinga

    Gazinga Chook Norris

    i am so sorry for your loss, and i would definitly think it was the non-stick pans. I had a pet parrot whom i loved greatly who died when i was baking cookies on a non-stick cokkie sheet. I found out the hard way it was toxic! I will always remeber Mango, my parrot. He passed the same way too, started seixing and shaking then passed on, so quick!
  9. gypsy2621

    gypsy2621 Songster

    Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I am not sure this is the case , one or 2 non stick pans in a well ventilated room would cause this.
    my guess is it was vitamine overload.
    I cook withno stick pans constantly in a well ventilated area and I have a house full of birds, parrots, parakeets finch chicks doves, etc and none have died as yet.
  10. Quote:me too, and often my cockatiel is on my shoulder when I cook. So it might not be the pans...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: