Attention Muscovy lovers

I have a question, I actually got 16 egg from the lady yesterday, but when I candled them the dirtiest one was almost completely dark. I put it in the incubator even thou I didn't see any movement. It doesn't smell so I thought I would give it a few days to see if anything happens. What would be your call on this?? They came straight from the nest so I'm not sure on the age of this one?? All the other eggs were nice and clear and I placed them big end up in the incubator and hope for the best!! Let me know what you think......
Not sure since they all came from one nest? could it have been one that had been brooded and got over looked? I'd dif keep an close eye on it you don't want an explosion in your bator and contaminate the other eggs.

Not sure since they all came from one nest? could it have been one that had been brooded and got over looked? I'd dif keep an close eye on it you don't want an explosion in your bator and contaminate the other eggs.

I agree, i have found in my experience eggs get around, how they roll them! no joke, so possible it 'fell' into the nest. Keep a close eye as ML says.

Thanks, it prob did get moved around as muddy as it is (it was raining for a week). I will keep turning it and checking for movement. Let ya know how it goes. The 5 original eggs are still doing well.

Thanks, it prob did get moved around as muddy as it is (it was raining for a week). I will keep turning it and checking for movement. Let ya know how it goes. The 5 original eggs are still doing well.
thumbsup.gif
happy to hear the first eggs are still going strong.

I worried about the dirty egg all day, so tonight I candled it one more time and saw no formation or movement (just a dark blob). I decided to take it out just to be on the safe side. I took it outside and to crack it open so I wouldn't always wonder if I threw a baby away. I tapped very lightly and KABOOM, pieces flew everywhere!! OMG the smell was awful!!!
th.gif

I'm glad you guys words haunted me all day and I did it outside!!! When in doubt, throw it out!!!! YUCK!!!

I worried about the dirty egg all day, so tonight I candled it one more time and saw no formation or movement (just a dark blob). I decided to take it out just to be on the safe side. I took it outside and to crack it open so I wouldn't always wonder if I threw a baby away. I tapped very lightly and KABOOM, pieces flew everywhere!! OMG the smell was awful!!!
th.gif

I'm glad you guys words haunted me all day and I did it outside!!! When in doubt, throw it out!!!! YUCK!!!

Wow that was a close one, thank goodness you got it out in time.

My new ducklings are coming out to feed but if I step out of the Florida room the scurry back into the kennel. I took some more pics but nothing that I can compare their size to. I go out at least 4 or 5 times a day to talk to them and my chicks, change their water and feed them. I shake the bag of mealworms and my chicks come running and I hope to have the ducklings doing the same soon. Oh by the way I believe I'm down to 4 of the original eggs now
barnie.gif
. Hopefully in a few days I will know if the new eggs are developing
fl.gif

For now I call them Ricky and Lucy until they prove me wrong

got this pic thrugh my son's bedroom window LOL

Last edited:
My new ducklings are coming out to feed but if I step out of the Florida room the scurry back into the kennel. I took some more pics but nothing that I can compare their size to. I go out at least 4 or 5 times a day to talk to them and my chicks, change their water and feed them. I shake the bag of mealworms and my chicks come running and I hope to have the ducklings doing the same soon. Oh by the way I believe I'm down to 4 of the original eggs now
barnie.gif
. Hopefully in a few days I will know if the new eggs are developing
fl.gif

For now I call them Ricky and Lucy until they prove me wrong

got this pic thrugh my son's bedroom window LOL
Have they had any meal worms yet? mine would do a song and dance for some. lol and another thing I am doing with mine is every eve. when I am cleaning up we look for earth worms. they are right under my feet now, I don't try to pick them up or touch them but they are getting bolder. More so than even their mama. They sure are cute. and sorry about the egg.
sad.png

sitting at the window watching the ducklings take a swim in the water container I put out for them
celebrate.gif
so happy to see them coming out for a longer period of time and acting like ducks! I got them a heavy duty container that you mix cement in, it's prob 2.5' x 1.5', I placed bricks like little steps up to the container. They are splashing and preening themselves, the smaller one was skidish about jumping in and the larger tried to barge past her and knocked her in, now she's in and out all on her own! I would love to go out and take pics but they would just run and hide. I put meal worms in their food bowl and it's always gone when I go to check on them. I give them pureed veggies but they don't seem interested in it??

sitting at the window watching the ducklings take a swim in the water container I put out for them
celebrate.gif
so happy to see them coming out for a longer period of time and acting like ducks! I got them a heavy duty container that you mix cement in, it's prob 2.5' x 1.5', I placed bricks like little steps up to the container. They are splashing and preening themselves, the smaller one was skidish about jumping in and the larger tried to barge past her and knocked her in, now she's in and out all on her own! I would love to go out and take pics but they would just run and hide. I put meal worms in their food bowl and it's always gone when I go to check on them. I give them pureed veggies but they don't seem interested in it??
Their coming around and feeling more at home. great job. maybe when you have time you can sit close by and just wait maybe with some meal worms toss a few where they can see them talk to them quietly they'll come around, when they haven't had very much human contact even as wee ones it takes a while to build trust. When we went to pick up mama duck and her 2 sisters it will be 2 yrs this Sept. they are 2 yrs this month. They were living in very bad conditions, this man was hardly able to care for himself[medical problems] but he had all these animals and it was about money. they had only had someone come at them with a net and were terrified. But after about 3 months of living with the rest of my flock they were eating out of my hand, they are still not lap ducks but that's okay I have 4 dogs that will sit in my lap, but they will come close for treats and they know I am not going to eat them. Yours will come around quicker because they are a little younger than mine were when we got them.

Back
Top Bottom