The little ones are growing...

Achievements unlocked:
- hop onto heating plate (and leave a present)
- jump out of a tall cardboard box
- growing feathers all over the body

Attachments

• photo_2024-05-22_10-56-14.jpg
    photo_2024-05-22_10-56-14.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 7
The little ones are growing...

Achievements unlocked:
- hop onto heating plate (and leave a present)
- jump out of a tall cardboard box
- growing feathers all over the body
So pretty, have they been out mingling with the flock with supervision?

inside my old run that i like to leave open for an extra hiding place - some kind of mold or fungus? is it dangerous should i keep the run closed until i do something about it ? spray with bleach and scrape off maybe? it’s also a rain shelter for a baby pool filled with dust bath for the chickens . Its old but i don’t really want to tear the whole thing down.
75433D7F-7A70-4C1B-899B-B1B876AA6719.jpeg

Last edited:
inside my old run that i like to leave open for an extra hiding place - some kind of mold or fungus? is it dangerous should i keep the run closed until i do something about it ? spray with bleach and scrape off maybe? it’s also a rain shelter for a baby pool filled with dust bath for the chickens . Its old but i don’t really want to tear the whole thing down. View attachment 3840103
Looks like a mushroom/fungus of some sort.

Had five more babies hatch yesterday. Running out of places to put them all, lol! Right now I have a total of 14, three of which are Muscovy (eggs got mixed up in the nest boxes) and one that I purchased last week (a chocolate magpie!). Also have about 2 dozen more eggs in the incubators, all at varying stages.

Here's a slightly fuzzy pic of the fuzzy babies that just hatched, passed out with the 'scovy ducklings:

20240521_183910.jpg

SO MUCH POOP!

inside my old run that i like to leave open for an extra hiding place - some kind of mold or fungus? is it dangerous should i keep the run closed until i do something about it ? spray with bleach and scrape off maybe? it’s also a rain shelter for a baby pool filled with dust bath for the chickens . Its old but i don’t really want to tear the whole thing down. View attachment 3840103
I would just clean if off really well. I am afraid of bleach myself as ducks dig in the soil so badly and I am afraid it will hurt them. I would not tear it down.

Had five more babies hatch yesterday. Running out of places to put them all, lol! Right now I have a total of 14, three of which are Muscovy (eggs got mixed up in the nest boxes) and one that I purchased last week (a chocolate magpie!). Also have about 2 dozen more eggs in the incubators, all at varying stages.

Here's a slightly fuzzy pic of the fuzzy babies that just hatched, passed out with the 'scovy ducklings:

View attachment 3840126

SO MUCH POOP!
Wow, I don't see how you do it. My four in the house was enough to almost due me in and that was why I moved the Rouen ducklings out at about 3 weeks. Cool nights did not hurt them a bit and they loved being separated from the rest of the flock and in a big pen to themselves. My Calls got moved out at 5 weeks and they are also in a separate pen. They will have to stay alone with just each other since one is a girl and my drakes will try to mate her. Will you sell your ducklings at the poultry place that sells poultry that you go to? I would not have room for that many. They sure are Cutie Pies!!!

View attachment 3840126

SO MUCH POOP!
How did you know which ones were the Scovy Babies?

So pretty, have they been out mingling with the flock with supervision?
Kind of - they are outside in their big wooden crate with the adult flock around them and they can see each other through the sides. They have grown so much now that instead of the crate they will be getting their own little grass area fenced on the sides and top by some dense plastic netting (that's what I was able to get at a friendly price at this density).

My Mother in law used to use newspapers between her rows and my Son is using cardboard! He wants to go full force against those weeds, lol.
I used Wood-Chips and Hay in the last couple of years, but the wood-chops make the top of the soil slightly acidic and the hay tends to jam my tiller. Cardboard and newspaper loos really unsightly and i have my doubts about the glue, the paint and the printer's ink in my soil. Also nowadays there seems to be a lot of plastic fibers in cardboard and magazine paper.
Since i got my little electric mower, i have an unlimited supply of grass cuttings during the warm season. I will try to completely dry these cuttings and see if i can use these as bedding in the dux run. The wood-chip deliveries have become quite unpredictable these days.

Back
Top Bottom