Attila The Hen....

1livelychick

Songster
9 Years
Feb 22, 2010
After one week of unsuccessfully being a backyard vet, I took Attila The Hen to a REAL vet! Am I ever glad that I did. Attila limped around for a week. I gave her every treat that I knew she would eat and meds that I thought would help her and she still lost 4 lbs.! I thought it was her toe but it turned out to be her leg joint. Dr. Culbreth spent the time looking her over. He took as much time with her as he would have your dog or cat. He performed a needle biopsy and found she had a terrrible bacterial infection. Dr. Culbreth even gave me the dosage amounts for the tylan antibiotic, which I had at home. He knows that I am on a limited budget but with his kindness and knowledge still took the time to help my feathered friend out.
The good news is she is perky today and hopefully after two weeks of antibiotics she will be back with her flock being the Mother Hen that she is! Attila is somewhat famous, She is a character in a book called the" Bed and Biscuit Gang" by M.Rene De Paulis. It's a childrens book full of love and compassion. Attila The Hen, is a beautiful Plymouth Barred Rock.
I know there are alot of people with very sick kids with feathers on this site. I thought that I would share this infomation just in case someone out there was having the same issue.
God Bless and Have a good weekend!

A literary heroine! Or hero-hen? I hope she does well. Thanks for sharing since a lot of us might not have access to a chicken vet and this info might come in handy.

You're welcome, Debi. Two weeks for a joint infection. She's already getting around better. Thanks for the support!

Back
Top Bottom