August 2016 Hatch-A-Long

Last chick made it out, I'm shutting down and throwing out the bator! Thank you all for being here for me and helping me, and your encouragement. I wouldn't of made it without yall, I'm so happy with my 6 healthy happy chicks!
1f606.png
1f606.png
1f606.png
1f606.png
I can finally get some sleep tonight!!!!

I float tested the last 9, they passed but did not move. I'm giving them til morning before I pull the plug.

Last chick made it out, I'm shutting down and throwing out the bator! Thank you all for being here for me and helping me, and your encouragement. I wouldn't of made it without yall, I'm so happy with my 6 healthy happy chicks!
1f606.png
1f606.png
1f606.png
1f606.png
I can finally get some sleep tonight!!!!

Congrats on your hatch!!

I float tested the last 9, they passed but did not move. I'm giving them til morning before I pull the plug.
did you candle them? What day are they on? Before you toss them you could carefully remove a piece of the shell where the air cell is without breaking the membrane and touch it to see if it moves. I had a day 23 I questioned and when I did that I could tell right away from the color of the membrane, I went ahead and opened it and sure enough it was dead. Or you could lightly tap the egg to see if they peep. I even played youtube videos of baby chickens chirping and had my stubborn ones move.

Don't give up to early. I actually had one hatch on day 26. I had given up on it and just hadn't gotten around to throwing it out. I usually give up on day 25.

I should've clarified that these are coturnix quail on day 20 as of tonight. I knew they would float as I candled them before lockdown. No movement from any but gave them 24 hours just in case. They have about 10 hours to present themselves before they are tossed.

44 out of 54 locked down isn't bad for my 1st hatch.

Breakfast for the babies.

Last edited:
So I am a little late to the party, but last week I set 3 LF Salmon Faverolles eggs & 3 Buff Laced Polish. My SF hen is getting older and starting to lay sporadically so I thought I should try and hatch some from her and the Polish are a test hatch for my young breeder flock. A week in and at first candling I have 5/6 developing so far.

Back
Top Bottom