August 2016 Hatch-A-Long

Went grocery shopping and came home to a moving egg!!! Does that mean it is going to be soon? Lockdown was last night it's not due until Monday and I thought it would be late because I ran my temp a few degrees lower. What's every ones experience, when an egg starts moving around how long before it pips?

I have no idea but that is eGGciting!!

Sorry I caused confusion. It's been one of those days
1f603.png

You are going to get me in trouble.
1f609.png
I found that listing and another one I want. I have always been too scared to get eggs from eBay, so I have never looked.

But I am supposed to be done for the season.

I have bought quite a few batches of eggs from eBay this summer. Some I have had 0% hatch and others near 90%. I got some beautiful colored guineas to add to my flock, d'Uccles, and bantam Ameraucanas this way. I am having the best luck with smaller eggs like guineas and bantams, maybe because there isn't as much room in the egg for things to knock about. I did get some cream legbars and the marans that are due next week are also shipped. Usually I try to go by distance, but ironically the two worst batches of eggs that I've received have been the closest. The marans came from PA and 3 eggs were smashed flat (yet the box was undamaged), and then I had some Isbars from NJ and they were scrambled inside.

Getting antsy waiting for chicks to hatch, but I think I'm going to be feeling that for awhile. My replacement eggs get here Monday, and now my husband has caught the chicken bug and wants me to hatch out White Bresse as well. He found someone local with the birds, and now we waiting to see if we can get hatching eggs this late in the season. My mom wants me to hatch and brood cochins for her. Meanwhile in the back of my head I'm wondering how my tiny bantams will get along with the big guys, and if I'll have to set up multiple areas.

**** chicken math
barnie.gif

...........................but its still fun.

Today is day 18 for my jersey giant eggs. I started with 6 but I am down to 5 as 1 had no development.
Broody come out this morning for her usual 5 minutes, so I grabbed the eggs and did my final candling. A few I really could not tell but some I could see movement.
She should go into lockdown today, and now the waiting begins!
Nervous and excited, and hoping I get at least a couple hatch out.

Went into lock-down mode yesterday with a total of 18 eggs. The Rite Farm 3600 incubator is doing well on its first use. Humidity is running a bit on the high side at 80%. A bit of a concern, but not too much since we do dry incubation until lock-down.

Did check this morning and heard some chirping. It's middle of day 19. Everything looking good. Not long now...

Today is day 18 for my jersey giant eggs. I started with 6 but I am down to 5 as 1 had no development.
Broody come out this morning for her usual 5 minutes, so I grabbed the eggs and did my final candling. A few I really could not tell but some I could see movement.
She should go into lockdown today, and now the waiting begins!
Nervous and excited, and hoping I get at least a couple hatch out.
Good luck!

Went into lock-down mode yesterday with a total of 18 eggs.  The Rite Farm 3600 incubator is doing well on its first use.  Humidity is running a bit on the high side at 80%.  A bit of a concern, but not too much since we do dry incubation until lock-down.

Did check this morning and heard some chirping.  It's middle of day 19.  Everything looking good.  Not long now... 
were on the same day!!!! Good luck with yours!

I'm a bit late getting back, as I've been sick. I had no hatches. But, I built my own flock of living beauties by traveling pretty much the entire left side of Ohio :) They are all silkies of varying ages, from 3 days to one being a month old. I have 3 black/blues, 2 whites (which I didn't think would be as pretty as they are), and I have 4 buffs. They are all inside during the evening and night, outside during the day but in a fenced area because our duck seems to have some jealousy issues. Every night I hold and spend time with 2 at a time, except the month old...she gets one on one time. Who knows how many will be roos that I will have to rehome, but I'm hoping very few. I'm very happy and learning about my first flock every day. Sometimes in the evening I move them to the kitchen floor and just lay there playing with them, they are a hoot. Yea, I know, Kitchen.....bad idea, but the floor is easier to clean lol.

I admire all of you and your hatching abilities, and nerves of steel. I enjoyed the learning process of trying to hatch my own and may go back to it at a later time and try again. Especially when we move to our own land and out of town. LOL. You all have been wonderful during the incubation period too, so I have no regrets what so ever.

Another note...my husband's homemade incubator for his ducks was more consistent and easier to control than my pro series that I purchased which I felt was a waste of money and a big disappointment with the untrustable humidity and temperature which were always way off. Now even though he didn't have any ducks hatch this month either, it was no fault of his own. The eggs just weren't good.

Thank you, all of you. Now I guess I should move on over to silkie threads :)

Back
Top Bottom