August 2021 Hatch-A-Long

Welcome and good luck with your hatches!!

I just candled my Coturnix quail. looks like I'm down to 8. These are going to be the most expensive quail ever, if any hatch:hitI think it's my incubator they are in, I get it to correct temps and it stays stable for a while then drops in temp so I have to raise it again .
I have also had some issues keeping the humidity up on my Leghorn eggs but I think I have now sorted. The duck eggs are doing great, I also candled my little button eggs. 22 developing, 1 quitter and 1 clear so I'm very happy with them

My clutch is due tomorrow (August 1st) but I've got a bunch hatching early today.
6 healthy little chicks so far, 3 silkies, 3 barnyard mixes.
1 more barnyard mix was mostly zipped but I noticed hadn't made progress in a while so took it out to assist, sadly the chick was already gone.
I have 9 more silkie eggs remaining and am hoping I get a good hatch.

I talked about when I first set this batch my reasons why on the July thread (august one hadn't been created yet) three weeks ago.
All my silkies had been killed suddenly one day. I took whatever eggs I had left and bought a new incubator to stick them in. Many of the eggs were pulled out of the fridge and I let them sit a day on the counter before putting them all in the incubator.
12 silkie eggs + 4 barnyard mix eggs were set though I didn't candle much at all during the incubation process, just waited and hoped for the best.
I'm very happy to see almost every egg has pipped now and hope they have an alright time hatching.

My Muscovy have started laying again. I found out when I went to turn the duck eggs and saw two new obviously Muscovy eggs in there, silly kids. If they develop they will be due start of next month though, thankfully I'll have empty bators to switch them to before the others are due. I told the kids to leave the rest so the mummy ducks can sit and do the work for us

Up to 10 silkies of the 12 I put in now.

I moved some of the fluffed up chicks to the brooder last night as one of the eggs was starting to bleed and I didn't want them pecking at it. (especially the three larger mixed babies. Always so rough those ones.) That chick hatched and seemed all fine now though.

1 egg I candled since it hadn't pipped and I found it was clear. No chick there, so I tossed the egg.

The last one is pipped, and since it had been since yesterday/last night I just now removed a small bit of shell and dried membrane. The baby is still alive and cheeping, so I'll come back in an hour or so and see if she's made any progress.

Lots of cute fluffballs.

So for August so far......

I have 27 eggs hatching on the 12th

and I loaded up the other 2 Incubators last friday..... I may have put another............... 46 eggs in there :oops: :lau Due to hatch on the 20th 20210722_175623_resized.jpg

Back
Top Bottom