August Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Okay so she is def broody she pulled out feathers and she accepted an egg while I was gathering other ones.

I have a NN hen today that was just making that tell-tale funny clucking sound that they make when they are about to go broody. I'm not going to let her set any egg's. I had another NN broody last month.

Yaaaaaay!!! Finally!!!! :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate
Lol, Well I'm sure there's the rare occasion where they would accept chicks really early but it's typically best practices to wait at least a week before giving them chicks. You might be able to get away with just a few days but I've never tried it that early before. Did she just decide to go broody today?
Yes. Just today... maybe yesterday there was a gigantic poop outside today but she was on the box last night now that I think about it.

She is the alpha of my super docile flock so I feel like she is the perfect chick raiser. If only my eggs had a few more days. They’re due Thursday but I feel like are coming Wednesday.

Maybe I’ll get some local eggs.

Due to infertility my 50 eggs have dwindled down to 15, and 9 of those are seramas which have a poor hatch rate. I have a dud rooster that I was using and all the Ayam Cemani were infertile eggs were infertile, He was my back up Rooster so no big deal, I can hatch those out next month with the good rooster who is about to exit rooster jail.

Yes. Just today... maybe yesterday there was a gigantic poop outside today but she was on the box last night now that I think about it.

She is the alpha of my super docile flock so I feel like she is the perfect chick raiser. If only my eggs had a few more days. They’re due Thursday but I feel like are coming Wednesday.

Maybe I’ll get some local eggs.

You will actually have a few days where it's still prime time for chicks to bond with a hen. You could probably wait until Saturday or Sunday to put the chicks under her in the middle of the night! You may be able to make it work just right!

Due to infertility my 50 eggs have dwindled down to 15, and 9 of those are seramas which have a poor hatch rate. I have a dud rooster that I was using and all the Ayam Cemani were infertile eggs were infertile, He was my back up Rooster so no big deal, I can hatch those out next month with the good rooster who is about to exit rooster jail.

Lol, I think I need to know about rooster jail.

You will actually have a few days where it's still prime time for chicks to bond with a hen. You could probably wait until Saturday or Sunday to put the chicks under her in the middle of the night! You may be able to make it work just right!
I’m going to wait and see when these hatch and go from there. Since she is brand new to brooding and isn’t quite a year old yet I really would like her to sit for a bit to make sure she clicks into motherhood. I have a gigANTIC order of fancy Delawares coming on sept 9, in addition to these hatching now. I’m going to be over RUN with chicks because I can’t possibly miss out on my first broody. :clap

Lol, I think I need to know about rooster jail.

Rooster Jail... I have a bunch of cages for various reasons, some reasons no longer matter to me because I will never have rabbits again, other cages are for seramas to grow out in but I am not always growing out Seramas. So when a Rooster is a abusive to hens (violence outside of mating) or if the escape their confines many times or they attack chicks etc they go to a cage for a day or 2 or longer depending on Temps / number of infractions. Sometimes I just process them and send them to camp freezer.

To rooster jail with him! :rantlol
Yeah, he just got out of Rooster Jail and is in with his own breed of females (due to the Beta Rooster not making fertile eggs)... The first trail cam video I did with him with females shows him approaching them and the females getting out of his way. I suppose the Red Ranger hens won't get out of his way so he attacks them. They won't get out of my way either. Its not because they are too big to move, they just have no fear. They sure can move fast if an egg breaks in their pen. Or if a tree frog lands in their pen.

Back
Top Bottom