August Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Well just set up incubator getting things ready, eggs should be here tomorrow. Setting them Saturday though giving a rest time and If I set them before then I will be working during hatch. (Back to work Aug. 20 summer break is soon over.).
I also have a broody I was able to give her one egg to sit on, planning on giving her the chicks I hatch.

I also saw a post about a camera and watching the hatch, try the app Alfred i used it this spring and it worked great. All you need is an old phone or tablet connected to WiFi, and the app on your phone. I was able to watch my hatch from work, I even put it on the smart board and allowed my students watch a chick hatched they loved it.

Still Twiddling my thumbs watching the eggs go slowly back and forth waiting for Aug 9th Lockdown.

Lol, You and me both!
I'm also collecting eggs from my mixed flock to see if my young frizzle rooster was doing anything before I rehomed him. I haven't made a habit of looking at yolks for fertility so I was only positive of my Bantam Cochin having a fertilized egg...she's old so she doesn't lay daily and I want to set at least 2 of her eggs in case she was the only hen he was mating with. Soooo yeah, even egg collection feels like it's taking forever right now. :p

Well just set up incubator getting things ready, eggs should be here tomorrow. Setting them Saturday though giving a rest time and If I set them before then I will be working during hatch. (Back to work Aug. 20 summer break is soon over.).
I also have a broody I was able to give her one egg to sit on, planning on giving her the chicks I hatch.

I also saw a post about a camera and watching the hatch, try the app Alfred i used it this spring and it worked great. All you need is an old phone or tablet connected to WiFi, and the app on your phone. I was able to watch my hatch from work, I even put it on the smart board and allowed my students watch a chick hatched they loved it.

Good luck with your hatch!!!
I'll have to look into that app. I was just going to use Twitch since I've seen someone else use that successfully but I'll play around with a couple options. The camera box actually says BlueRams so hopefully it will connect with other apps. I've never actually used one of these. Lol, It's making me feel old.

Lol, You and me both!
I'm also collecting eggs from my mixed flock to see if my young frizzle rooster was doing anything before I rehomed him. I haven't made a habit of looking at yolks for fertility so I was only positive of my Bantam Cochin having a fertilized egg...she's old so she doesn't lay daily and I want to set at least 2 of her eggs in case she was the only hen he was mating with. Soooo yeah, even egg collection feels like it's taking forever right now. :p
Sometimes we are too eager! I really only posted that to make sure I keep getting alerts to the thread.

Good luck with your hatch!!!
I'll have to look into that app. I was just going to use Twitch since I've seen someone else use that successfully but I'll play around with a couple options. The camera box actually says BlueRams so hopefully it will connect with other apps. I've never actually used one of these. Lol, It's making me feel old.
Alfred is real easy to use... good luck..

Sometimes we are too eager! I really only posted that to make sure I keep getting alerts to the thread.

Lol, Well you have been doing this longer than most of us I think! You're probably quite a bit more patient than us at this point. ;)

Anytime I try something new I feel somewhat impatient. It's the excitement factor of wanting to know what a rooster that young could successfully fertilize and also because I would really like to be able to keep one of his offspring since he was a favorite. If it doesn't work then it's totally fine, I just really want to know and I'll have to wait a few days after setting the eggs before I know if they're fertilized too! :th lol

It's game on! I just set some eggs from my mixed flock to see if the young Frizzle/Buff Orpington rooster I just rehomed was doing anything when I wasn't looking, lol. If they're fertilized it should be an interesting blend of peeps. Hens are White Leghorn, Barred Bantam Cochin, Whiting True Blue, Easter Egger, EE/Silkie, Amberlink, and Lavender Orpington.

7-31-19 (2).JPG

Last edited:
I put my quail eggs in today they should pip on 15th- mine is an experiment to see if the store bought eggs will hatch. I was too stressed w my June eggs that I only got 1/6 Easter egger s hatched- and my little singleton Patience died suddenly at 3 weeks and is currently at uc Davis having her necropsy.

Anyway I love quail and since these were supposed to be lunch if they don’t hatch I probably won’t cry.

I did not buy hatching eggs. Just fresh eggs

Attachments

• D1BD718F-462F-420E-9623-D238B139F3BD.jpeg
    D1BD718F-462F-420E-9623-D238B139F3BD.jpeg
    477.1 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom