August Hatch-A-Long!

nicole63021

Songster
6 Years
Mar 8, 2013
West St. Louis County, MO
Since my July hatch went so poorly, I convinced DH to do another hatch as long as we got some chicks too! So picked up some eggs about an hour away today, and will be driving to TN to get some more eggs and chicks next weekend (no more shipped!). Will be putting in 13 eggs tonight, 5 Lav Orps, 4 Lav Ams and 2 Backyard mixes that were thrown in for free. Picking up BBS Orp, FBCM, BLRW, and if there are any (the girls went broody), some Lav and/or Split Lav Ams. Hoping this hatch will be better than the last!

This is my first Hatch-A-Long! I just got a new incubator and it recommends that you start with a cheap bunch of eggs the first time to work out any glitches before investing in expensive eggs. Since I have been dying to test-hatch some Trader Joes eggs I bought a dozen of them, plus a dozen from a local organic store, and one dozen from a local egg supplier who free-ranges their chickens with roosters in the mix. I tested a few eggs from each batch to make sure there were some fertile eggs in the dozen. I now have 30 eggs in the incubator that I started Friday night. Therefore they should be due on August 2nd. I hope I hatch out at least a couple, don't want a lonely chick.

Since they are due on Aug 2nd, if all goes well I will have plenty of time to do a second batch of quality eggs during the August Hatch-A-Long.

I will be candling them for the first time on Tuesday. So excited to be participating in this event!

I'll join in if its alright with everyone. :) I ordered 22bantam EE eggs from eBay this past weekend and they should be arriving by the end of the week. This will be my first hatch ever and in a homemade incubator... Boy I really know how to hobble my chances don't I? :rolleyes: Oh well, if I succeed then I'll just feel more accomplished I guess. Lol Good thing they won't be here for a few more days. I'm trying to work out some temperature kinks. Don't have a thermostat so I'm doing it the old fashioned way. Poke more holes. :lol:

I decided to have a hatch compition against a broody hen. I set 6 Welsummers under my broody hen and placed 7 Welsummers in the bator. Either way I win.
yesss.gif

I'll join in if its alright with everyone.
smile.png
I ordered 22bantam EE eggs from eBay this past weekend and they should be arriving by the end of the week. This will be my first hatch ever and in a homemade incubator... Boy I really know how to hobble my chances don't I?
roll.png
Oh well, if I succeed then I'll just feel more accomplished I guess. Lol Good thing they won't be here for a few more days. I'm trying to work out some temperature kinks. Don't have a thermostat so I'm doing it the old fashioned way. Poke more holes.
lol.png

If you havr a decent hatch you will have all the more reason to celebrate!

I set some eggs this past weekend put in the bator: All with EE rooster

6 Barrred Rock, 15 Red Sex link (so should be varying shades of green eggs next year)
20 EE - one blue egg layer so all by same hen/roo combo

Hopefully due first Saturday in August.

CG

Back
Top Bottom