August Hatch-A-Long!

I got them from a local natural grocery store. They were from a free range poultry farm about a 45 min drive from the store. They had been washed, trucked, and refrigerated for several days before I got them. They were not marketed as 'fertile eggs', just free range. I also bought a dozen eggs marked as fertile eggs, apparently there are people who want to specifically eat only fertile eggs??

Anyway, I let them sit on my kitchen table for twelve hours (after driving the one hour drive to my home). Then I had to crack two of the 'fertile' eggs before I got a fertile one. The first 'free range egg' was fertile, my dog broke a second one, so 10 of each went into the incubator. None of the 'fertile' eggs developed, but 6 the 'free range' eggs did develope. one died at about day 12, the remaining five went into lockdown alive. 3 hatched naturally, one was breech and I did a full assist after many hours of hearing a peeping but no pip. Thank goodness I did because its beak wasn't near the shell, it wouldn't have hatched on its own. One died during the second day of lockdown. I did an eggtopsy and it was breech as well, couldn't have pipped ever in that position.

All four chicks are doing very well, and you wouldn't know which one was an assist now because that one is the fiestiest if the bunch!
I went out to purchase some rhoded island red hens that were used at a all organic egg farm (business) Sold to big markets...beautiful place. They were going to get new hens. I question him many times if they were RIH hen he said yes.... These hens were ranched on 20 fenced acres, hot wire and preditor dogs.
mIn the middle of no where. They had 3portable laying house to lay their eggs in..The squirrels came out to chatter at you. Like you were invading their home. Had to be coyetto heaven.
He had beautiful Red roosters running with the hens to keep them happy. I was so impressed with his set up.
Anyway I took the hens 12 home and collect all the eggs that they did lay in 7 days. They were going into molt.. Think I had 3 dozen eggs. Had a great hatch so if other people raise there organic eggs that way I can see how they would hatch....
One of better deals I've made on Hens. They are beautiful red. Paid $3. each hen hatch 3 dozen chicks from them 30 days after purchase.
I still have 7 of the same hens and they lay almost very day. I crossed them with a splash copper marans roo. (only roo I had) And got beautiful blue hens that lay really good.
This man loved his big flock of hens and it was a great place for them.
He if the hens jumped the fence they were coyette food but not many did. What a place ...
one question At the grocery store here they have some very dark brown eggs they sell as organic and almost all the same color. Looks like they dyed them th What color were yours you hatched.
My red hens layed a light tan brown egg. Even the hertiage rhode island eggs I bought from a breeder the egg shell color was very light.
I may have to go to the store and try to hatch a dozen of those extra dark eggs. Does anyone remember the code on the package that tells you when they were packed?
Ya got me curious now.

Quote: when in doubt leave them in
wink.png

DH put 36 speckled sussex in lockdown this evening. This is third hatch and hope to get some chicks in a few days. We will see. DH does not have a problem with staring at the chicks during hatching. The first hatch happened when he was away all day at work and than an auction. Came home at 10PM and there were 7 fluffy chicks running around the bator. Got the 8th when he woke up next morning. With this hatch if we get 50% success we will have alot of chicks. The only time we had close to that is when we purchased day olds from a breeder in Georgia.

DH put 36 speckled sussex in lockdown this evening. This is third hatch and hope to get some chicks in a few days. We will see. DH does not have a problem with staring at the chicks during hatching. The first hatch happened when he was away all day at work and than an auction. Came home at 10PM and there were 7 fluffy chicks running around the bator. Got the 8th when he woke up next morning. With this hatch if we get 50% success we will have alot of chicks. The only time we had close to that is when we purchased day olds from a breeder in Georgia.
how fun!

have you candled them?

Today is day 21. I did check them when I took out the baby this am but there was no internal pip yet. Did not see obvious movement but they looked jammed j there. Should I do anything tomorrow if nothing happens tonight? I placed them at night so I was considering the next day as day 1

Back
Top Bottom