August Hatch-A-Long!

Thanks SOOO much u make me feel better the dog is chained up just so he can learn his lesson but he is only a 4 week old puppy so I guess he just wanted to playing
chaining it up won't teach it anything! keep it on a leash when it's with you around the flock so you can teach it....it's a little baby it doesn't want to make you unhappy

The sweetest thing happened yesterday I just forgot to write about it. I heard a loud cheeping from my 11 day old bator eggs but disregarded it as sleeping sounded so much sweeter. The thought crossed my mind that maybe one got out of the brooder cage (wouldn't be the first time). But like I said, sleep sounded much better. I figured if something bad was going on I'd hear A LOT of commotion. I finally got up and sure enough one was out but it was next to my Persian kitty. She was babysitting the chick til I got there. How sweet!
love.gif
I wish you'd have gotten that picture for the calendar!!

Thx I went to see her today and I think she is getting more use to me I get a treat and kneel down then I put the treat in my knee so if she wants the treat she has to come on to me then i stroke her which she usually runs away from so quickly grab another treat and put an my lap so she has to come back
Thx for the advise did not know that touching the back was threatening where about on the chest just on her front under her beak? :)

Just think of a preditor attacking. They would pounce on top of them and hold them down. Even with dogs reaching over the top of them is a threatening move. Just keep your hands low at first until she isn't scared anymore. That's why sitting is better than standing. It makes you appear smaller and less threatening. :)

So sad. I spoke too soon. I now only have 2 chicks
sad.png
. I was wondering where the 3rd chickie was but I figured it was under one of the mommas. When I went to clean out the nest I noticed a bunch of ants on a lumpy mass. Upon further observation I realized it was the missing chick.
hit.gif
. I ran in to get my spray and plastic bag for the chick and I heard both mommas realize it was their baby and heard shrieking- chicken version. I saw my rooster attempt to save the day but the door was locked. Everyone was so upset. I removed the chick and they all settled down but oh- the poor baby. Head all eaten up. Idk how it got in that spot. Very weird.
No!!! So sad :( I had a broody taking care of her chick, found the chick dead one day- whole body their. I am assuming it was from the hot day. :(
Not all breeds can be feather sexed. Females should have uneven wing feathers(like picture #1), and males are even(like picture #2). You need to do it between days 1-3, and it's not 100% accurate.
Wait-so you can't figure it out after 3 days. Awww..crap. I have a little Easter Wyandotte chick-
[/IMG]. It is a week or two old, it is a very pretty chick. Hopefully it is a girl. My dad doesn't want any more roosters :(

Last edited:
Well I forgot my good news too today complaining about my one assist with a bad leg that died last night

Longest hatch I have ever had. and last this year.......... well actually 2 hatches really close together..
Started Friday 3 ....first were due Sat ok.....continued until Sunday-Monday more hatched in another bator
Today my last 2 eggs..I almost turned the bator off this morning after taking the others out but one said due today so kept bator on .No hope really was a small egg so didn't think it would hatch but left it on anyway in case of a miracle...Later peep peep!! Here another tiny Lav Am
The last egg was shaped funny and a stain on it that looked weird ..I would have turned it off as it was due yesterday but little new guy had to be kept warm while he dried Later Peep peep..why was the LAM peeping so loudly? Go over the last ugly egg had hatched too HAHA.
Everyone in that late hatch bator hatched about 6 I think So total head count was 17 out of 22 eggs. AND all are sold but 2 .this was my last hatch for the year...but it sure lures you in to do more..but NO NO NO!!!! Cant Been hatching steady for almost 1 1/2 years weeky gotta stop someplace until spring.....Hope I can!!
wee.gif

Holy cow those little rocks hatch fast! I just checked them half an hour ago and no more pips. And just now I saw movement and there's a wet wobbly baby in there! :) YAY!!

Still nothing on the one that pipped the wrong end yesterday though :(

Last edited:
I shared the other day about my unsuccessful first try at shipped eggs, or any eggs, under my broody. I never saw any veining or couldn't tell what I was seeing and finally figured they were all duds and when I cracked them open, it was confirmed. I took some of my own eggs from my hens and placed them under the broody. Even though I won't be getting new cool breeds, they will be barnyard mixes, but still cute little chicks. Well, I was soooo excited when I candled them today at day 5 and ALL 8 have veining and I saw some wiggling!!! Such a miracle to me and I've never seen this before. I had been looking and looking at progression charts and when I candled the first egg, it was exactly like the photos I'd been seeing. I was ecstatic!!!!

Here I am on day 18 and can barely stand it. Hatch day is supposed to be Friday, since I started on Friday, Aug. 9. My broody has been very faithful and only gets off the nest for a short time to do her stuff. She got off the nest today and I took a look at the eggs and no pips, so I need patience!! Tomorrow I'll be gone all day. I'm down to 5 eggs and really, really want a couple new chicks. I'm praying.

Back
Top Bottom