Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Busy Busy Busy!!
Take a good rest after all this:) .

Well it's 4am Sunday morning and I'm up frying off chicken tenderloins and making my coriander chicken burgers for today's lunches. Yes Lucas I will come home tonight and collapse . Now that I've said that , that pesky hayman is likely to come in today and bail, half expected it to be waiting for us to put away when we got home yesterday. Hope you all enjoy a sleep in.

Well it's 4am Sunday morning and I'm up frying off chicken tenderloins and making my coriander chicken burgers for today's lunches. Yes Lucas I will come home tonight and collapse . Now that I've said that , that pesky hayman is likely to come in today and bail, half expected it to be waiting for us to put away when we got home yesterday. Hope you all enjoy a sleep in.

Wow your dedicated fancy. I hope you have a great day. You know I am odd right but I want to see hay being bailed lol. I have seen it cut and laying on the ground waiting to be bailed but never seen them actually bailing. I tell lance all the time I'm gunna stop at a farmers and ask if they can ring me when they bail so I can see it.. He just rolls his eyes lol

Had a great day , thanks Karen. The weather gods were kind to us and we have another full day tomorrow. We fed over 70 people today and I'm bushed . The chooks enjoyed the food scraps, but I came home to find one of my young blrw hanging upside down with its leg caught in the metal straps of the outdoor chair.
The foot was very cold so I gave it a good massage. It's not greeting around very well, I'll just have to keep an eye on it.
Here comes the float with the horses on, better go help them unload. Pizza tonight!

Oh your poor chook!
Hope all goes well today x

wow you are busy! Corriander burgers sound divine. Hubby hates corriander I love it. Good luck again for today ;)

My chicken just layed her 3rd egg this morning and she has been very protective of the egg.. Sitting on it and rolling it around with her head.. We don't have any roosters so it's just a normal egg.. Should I just leave her with the egg or remove it?

Hope you have a lovely day fancy, poor little chicken, I thought my guys were the only ones who find that one piece of dangling stuff on the property and get caught in it...hope she's walking around normally soon

Megans chickens if you don't want her to go clucky and stop laying then collect the eggs regularly and move her out of the nest. Others here will now methods to break her cluckiness better than me. Keep your eye on her though in case she starts a nest in your yard. Our second outside mamma is due to hatch soon :)

Quote:
Oh you are too good Fancy. That is commitment!
Well good luck and hope you get some rest
smile.png

Does anyone know of, or have, a hensafe door?

http://www.hensafedoors.com/

I've just had a look in my garden shed and since most of the stuff in there can be chucked I'm thinking of converting half of it into a new home for the Chickens. There's certainly enough room to put the door in, and if all I have to do is cut a hole (I'm sure someone I know must have the skills and tools to do it for a six pack of Little Creatures), it seems to be a cheaper option than buying a new coop, and will take up less space giving them more run during the day.
I like the idea of a solar powered door as the roof of the shed is quite sunny, and as my kids are turning into teenagers and we all like a lie-in, sometimes the ladies don't get let out until mid morning.
Inside the shed, I'll partition it off with wire so it has plenty of ventilation. I'm hoping this will deter the rats a bit. They've chewed through the wooden coop in multiple paces...it seems I block one hole, and there's a new one two days later! As of yet, they haven't breached the shed so I figure it would be a bit nicer for my girls.

Oh...one last thing...how do you introduce hens to a new home and nesting box? Just lock 'em in overnight?
My husband has just expressed some concern about the shed becoming really smelly. Would that be too much of a problem if I was vigilant with sweeping it out? We had a really big chook shed when I was a kid, and I don't remember it being so bad, but then I quite like the smell of nature wheras my city-born husband is a bit of a wuss with that sort of stuff.

Last edited:
My husband has just expressed some concern about the shed becoming really smelly. Would that be too much of a problem if I was vigilant with sweeping it out? We had a really big chook shed when I was a kid, and I don't remember it being so bad, but then I quite like the smell of nature wheras my city-born husband is a bit of a wuss with that sort of stuff.
Howdy Megacakes :)

Is the shed just going to be for sleeping, nesting and sheltering from the weather? Will they have an outside run for during the day?
Many, many years ago I had 6 LF's whose roost and nesting box were in the garden shed. They free-ranged the garden all day and only went back to the shed to roost or lay. I was vigilant with keeping it clean and the only 'messy' spot was under the roost. I honestly never had a problem with smell. They shared the shed with some garden tools and other bits and pieces and this was never a problem. I used to let them out every morning and once they had gone to bed, just shut the shed door for their overnight safety.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom