Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

I could use some advice please,
I have 6 and 8 week old chicks in the brooder. Weather has changed here in Victoria, we are going to get some hot days. Would it be safe to put them out in their own A frame pen now, or wait longer?
In this bunch are 3 SilverLace pullets, they are smaller and not so confident, at what agecan I integrate them into my main flock of hens only?

Thanks in advance

Andrew

I have usually put mine outside by 6 weeks of age. So long as they are feathered they will be fine.
Be sure to give them shallow waterer's , I've still seen them drown at this age.

Last edited:
I had a single chick hatch under mum at the very start of spring when it was much colder. By 6-8 weeks even back then it had stopped getting under mum for warmth of a day. Many hens start to ignore chicks by that age.

So yeah, I wouldn't think twice about putting them out.

To integrate, maybe put your a frame inside your regular run so they can get used to each other. They say to wait till they are a similar size to put together without a barrier between them.

Thanks for the prompt response. Now that I think about it they are not going under the heat lamp even when its down at 10 degrees last couple of days BUT, my worry isthe wind. I am high up on a par with Mount Macedon, whilst I am in the forest the wind is still very strong from the South off the coast and the chill factor may be a problem? I have the roosts enclosed and fairly draft proof ( I hope). Non of them are roosting to sleep yet and the floor is mouse proof netting. Think I need a sheet of thick builders plastic film with pine shavings.

Any thoughts on using the heat lamp initially.........sorry if its a dumb question but there are three SilverLace and a Blue lace pullet that all survived the brink and I am REALLY cautious about stuffing this up. Crikey a fella feels a bit of a twit, worrying about the dogs, and horses is one thing, but these little chooks have been fighters and their tenacity has won me over a bit.

Cheers n thanks,

Andrew

Last edited:
Random pointless thing, but...

Today my 15 week-old cockrel that I'm keeping pretty much gave me a cuddle. I'd just finished planting a banana tree in the chook run (and I'm in Melbourne - let's just say that in the last while I've given up with lettuces in spring), and he was sitting on the new hay I'd strewn everywhere and I snuck up and tickled him on the back, and under his beak.

He made a purring sound and pushed his head into my hands, and closed his eyes, blissing out. He sat there, trilling as I scritched him all over and took liberties with checking his wings, etc. He was quite relaxed.

I hope he doesn't turn into a jerk when the hormones hit, because right now he's unbearably sweet. He tidbits for the hens, and stays 'on watch' all the time, even though he's only young. I think he was falling asleep today partly because he spent so many hours glaring skywards everytime the cockatoos shrieked.

My other full size cockrel is a jerk, thankfully - it makes it obvious which one to keep. He keeps bullying the hens, so our choice is made easier.

Any thoughts on using the heat lamp initially.........sorry if its a dumb question but there are three SilverLace and a Blue lace pullet that all survived the brink and I am REALLY cautious about stuffing this up. Crikey a fella feels a bit of a twit, worrying about the dogs, and horses is one thing, but these little chooks have been fighters and their tenacity has won me over a bit.

If they're fully feathed (no down left) they're more likely to suffer from heat than anything else. As long as they can get out of the wind if they choose, they should be fine.

If you're really worried about them, you can give them a poultry multivitamin to give them a leg up, maybe, or fermented feed, sprouted greens, even scrambled eggs if you feel like babying them.

I did that with my tiny 'yeah, she's going to die' chick that people told me was doomed because I prefer to baby animals I think aren't going to make it (you may as well be happy if you're going to kark it), and she's now a perky hen. Half the size of everyone else, even as a silkie, but very robust and opinionated.

I turned my heat off early, because I thought they were all avoiding it - I've seen so many photos here of people with chickens taking chicks out into nearly freezing weather.

Thanks for the prompt response. Now that I think about it they are not going under the heat lamp even when its down at 10 degrees last couple of days BUT, my worry isthe wind. I am high up on a par with Mount Macedon, whilst I am in the forest the wind is still very strong from the South off the coast and the chill factor may be a problem? I have the roosts enclosed and fairly draft proof ( I hope). Non of them are roosting to sleep yet and the floor is mouse proof netting. Think I need a sheet of thick builders plastic film with pine shavings.

Cheers n thanks,

Andrew

I hatch all year round and mine go out on the grass full time at 3 weeks of age even in winter and we get into the minuses over night. As long as they are feathered they'll be fine.

Just keep an eye on her. One of the earliest signs of a slow or impacted crop is excessive thirst. They will try to wash the blockage away. The antibiotics might be a good thing at this time.
Well I just finished the lawns, I swear I can hear the grass growing round here. :rolleyes:

Omg stunning :love You know i'm gunna comment on that beautiful green grass.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom