Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Ash I am sorry to read about your ducks and Black Saturday but pleased you now have some beautiful little ones to start again. Love the bubby pics ChristieB .. adorable! Aaaaw, poor Padma, she looks like she definitely wants in! Welcome to the thread lifeonthehill, nice to meet you. Had a great day today in the garden with the gals … mowing, tidying, harvesting snow peas etc. Had a chance to snap a pic also:
Now that is a byc calendar pic. :)

Thanks a lot for all your reply. We have set up a little temporary out door area for her so she can spending her time outside if she likes or go in the coop in separate area from the other girls but still be able to see each other like you all have adviced. A bit worried from start because she didn't want to walk, eat or drink since she got to our place but later in the day today she started to moving around, eating and drinking so we are relieved. Thanks a lot again, really appreciate your advices
1f64f.png
1f60a.png

I didn't know you could get a cv ac for shingles. I thought you got it when you were run down after having it as a child.

Neither did I MyHaven ... until after reading Fancys' post about it. I went rummaging around on the Net, as I was very intrigued about it all.

Similar to chicken pox ( same family of nasties - herpes zoster ) ... and while I believe stress can bring it out ( we all carry it with us apparently, once we have had chicken-pox !! ) ... it is contagious and there is a one off vaccination against it. The vaccination can be given even when shingles is already showing, according to one med. site..

So - if there is an outbreak, it's because it is contagious and people are near, or have to touch others that have it. BUT - it only will be contagious to someone who has never had chicken pox, and therefore doesn't carry the automatic immunity because chicken pox remains in the body for life ( from what I gather ).

Had absolutely always believed it was brought on by a run down condition and a stressful life style. Shingles will attack ( according to my research ) if a person is indeed run down, either from within ( from the herpes zoster we carry IF we have had chicken pox ) - or from without - if we haven't had chicken pox, and are near or touching others with shingles. Over 60's are vulnerable, and most certainly pregnant women are also, with some possible sad / nasty consequences.

Just goes to show eh ?

And thanks Fancy for the original advice.

Cheers ........

Last edited:
r
From what I understand, if you had chicken pox as a child the virus lays dormant in your cells. So if you come in contact with the virus as an adult , you will actually get shingles. If you come in contact with the shingle virus and have never had chicken pox , you will come down with chicken pox. Clear as mud , I know.
The vaccine is new and obviously still not on PBS.

I hadn't read this reply of yours Fancy, when I replied to MyHaven.

Similar stories we have told with a couple of small differences. All amounts to the same - it is contagious, we carry it forever if we've had chicken pox ( whenever ), and on that basis, it can be re-activated - to come out as shingles. One med. site said it was like a bear in hibernation for a permanent winter, awaiting the right conditions ... a good description.

I do not visit forums on health matters - always stick to med-line or Mayo clinic or other proper medical sites. As mentioned to MyHaven ... chicken pox and shingles are of the same family - the herpes zoster virus.

Cheers .....

Hi all. My name is Toon, I live in Melbourne, Australia. I'm a new member of BYC and also very new to the chicken's world. I have recently got three chickens on last Friday, there is an Australorp, an Isa Brown and a White Silkie. I have been told from a person(family friend) who gave them to us that they are all girl and all three of them are about 16 weeks old.
And today I just picked up an Partridge Silkie since I did a research and found out that you should keep at least two or three silkie chickens together. Now I have two questions and I would like to ask for your help please...
- My first question has came up since I found out that you would not be able to tell the sex of your silkie until they are about 5-6 months old so I started to wonder that my white silkie could possibly be "A Boy". Could you please tell me what do you think?

- My second question is... This evening when I brought a new girl partridge silkie in, and my white silkie came up to her and looked like they were both talking but then she started to jump on top of a partridge girl and kept pecking her non stop so I have stepped up and tried to stop her and put a new girl into bed as it started to get dark. What should I do if this continue to happen when they wake up tomorrow morning?

Thank you so much in advance, any help or reply will be greatly appreciate.

Firstly, welcome to BYC MThomas08 ( Toon ) ... This is a great thread and everyone is especially helpful and kind here.

Sorry I cannot give any advice as to what you have there --- pullets or cockerels.

But I can give a little hint ... try to keep your silkies out of the rain - or at least don't let them remain wet. They don't have the same slick feathers as many larger hens have - they are all fluffy and water gets through very easily to rice paper thin skin - they can get bad chills from that. I know - been there, done that, and lost my silkie because of it. She had spent ( unbeknown to me ) a night of stormy weather in a leaking coop ( also unbeknown to me that it was leaky ) .... and developed a chill and then pneumonia from it. Learned, all too late.

That's the only advice I can give - from painful experience. My little Silkie Moppitt - is my avatar here. Photo taken almost 3 years back when she was well and happy.

Good luck with your chickens ... and yes - advice given to keep them separated while they can 'look at each other' is great advice.

Cheers ....

Dear Cilla, Dusty, Blondie, LuLu, KiKi and Crystal

Many thanks for not waking me up at 05:30am with your requests for breakfast.

Signed with love
Mum

Dear Crows

While I am sure the chickens appreciated you waking me at 05:00am, meaning they got their breakfast at 05:10am, 20 minutes earlier than yesterday, I am also sure they are the only residents of this neighbour who do not want to kill you right now!

Signed with nothing but thoughts of your demise
Sleepless in Brisbane

wink.png

Neither did I MyHaven ... until after reading Fancys' post about it.    I went rummaging around on the Net, as I was very intrigued about it all.  

Similar to chicken pox ( same family of nasties - herpes zoster  ) ... and while I believe stress can bring it out ( we all carry it with us apparently,  once we have had chicken-pox  !! ) ... it is contagious and there is a one off vaccination against it.     The vaccination can be given even when shingles is already showing, according to one med. site..   

So - if there is an outbreak, it's because it is contagious and people are near, or have to touch others that have it.   BUT - it only will be contagious to someone who has never had chicken pox, and therefore doesn't carry the automatic immunity because chicken pox remains in the body for life  ( from what I gather ).

Had absolutely always believed it was brought on by a run down condition and a stressful life style.   Shingles will attack ( according to my research ) if a person is indeed run down, either from within ( from the herpes zoster we carry IF we have had chicken pox ) - or from without - if we haven't had chicken pox, and are near or touching others with shingles.    Over 60's are vulnerable, and most certainly pregnant women are also, with some possible sad / nasty  consequences.   

Just goes to show eh ?

And thanks Fancy for the original advice.

Cheers ........  

So just to clarify, so your saying if you have had chicken pox shingles isn't contagious? It just pops up from being run down?

Being run down around chicken pox won't or will increase your chances of shingles if you previously had chicken pox ?

I know someone who I'll be telling about this immunisation.

So just to clarify, so your saying if you have had chicken pox shingles isn't contagious? It just pops up from being run down?

Being run down around chicken pox won't or will increase your chances of shingles if you previously had chicken pox ?

I know someone who I'll be telling about this immunisation.

If you had chicken pox as a child and come in contact with the virus you will get shingles. However if you come in contact with a person carrying shingles and you've never had either , you will be susceptible to chicken pox. The vaccine my doctor friend was referring to is new.

Poor Padma wants those babies!!
Awww poor darling! Cute pics
RodneyRooster if your babies haven't arrived by Monday maybe you could take a "parental leave day". I know i would be tempted.But maybe best to not mention its for chickens when you fill out the leave form.:)
Haha i so should! Except that im fully booked with clients and cant really bail on them now, only 2 weeks left to get ur tax in!
Ash I am sorry to read about your ducks and Black Saturday but pleased you now have some beautiful little ones to start again. Love the bubby pics ChristieB .. adorable! Aaaaw, poor Padma, she looks like she definitely wants in! Welcome to the thread lifeonthehill, nice to meet you. Had a great day today in the garden with the gals … mowing, tidying, harvesting snow peas etc. Had a chance to snap a pic also:
Fancys right thats so a calendar pic! Gorgeous! Ok so i have the biggest feeling of guilt right now - horrible chicken owner! :-( I forgot to close the chooks in last night :-( all of them are fine and broody no. 2 was out and about scratching when i came out in fine condition. However! One of her eggs was cracked by the door of the shed and another half a shell with nothing inside right next to it. Could be that she has either intentionally or accidentally rolled them out with her or that a predator has taken them and eaten one - more likely as the other half the shell is missing :-( rest of the eggs and her are fine. Cant believe i could forget that, at such a crucial time too! What have I done.. guess I'll never know and have lost 2 eggs so thats my punishment. Dont think ill be forgetting my poor babies again :-( Although it is hard to think of much else right now, hatching day is here!!! :-D

Back
Top Bottom