Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

SilkieChickStar I am not sure about the wind drying the paint where you are but right now, here it is trying to peel the paint off surfaces! BOM says the winds are predicted to be 15 to 25km/hour, my sweet pattootie they are! More like 50-60km/hour! We have Maple leaves blowing into our garden and no Maple trees around here .. hubby reckons they have blown in from Canada! Lol :lau appps sorry to hear about the flooding, stay safe and dry. Aaaw, your poor little pigeon; he is cute! MyHaven was this Fancy’s recipe you were looking for? “Cooked rice with some raw egg and mackerel or sardines is also a good fattener. Howdy Bobchicken93 welcome to BYC and the thread, lovely to meet you.
I agree with you about the winds. They have been blowing a gale and so icy out here since Saturday afternoon. I can hear them howling outside still as I type. Did you see Toowoombas temps yesterday, overnight temp was 9c with a max of 10c.. Glad i wasn't there.

Wow we had sooooo much rain here in Logan. Now its bright, sunny and windy as heck. My chickens that are in quarantine managed to stay pretty dry and inside their coop is dry so that's a win. They are now running around eating worms and clover to their hearts content.

The rain delayed my painting and working on the new bigger coop >< but the weather today looks like it might dry to paint at least if I do some under cover.

Chicks are approaching 6 weeks and pretty happy. Quite tame now too they no longer flee when I reach into their little home

I miss the rains when i used to live in Logan we would be sure to get some good downpours there.

I think all the rain broke Weatherzone. It's trying to tell me we've had 155mm since 9am but it's only 9:45am.

Okay it finally reset at 10am. Up to about 200mm all up so far. The chook run is flooded and better suited to ducks but so far their house isn't under water which is a first! I'd dug a barrier of plastic garden edging all the way around it last summer so the water diverts rather than running through. So it's only the stuff blowing sideways at the moment getting in there.

Thats an impressive rainfall total appps, wanna swap ;)

Thats an impressive rainfall total appps, wanna swap ;)

Careful what you wish for lol

Our total for the weekend is now 320mm and that doesn't take into account that for some reason our official rain measuring area is located near my parents and notorious for getting far less rain than anywhere else in the area. So going by previous rain gauge comparisons to its reading you could probably add another 50mm and not be far off what we really got.

It's finally stopped enough to go check out the lake that is our chook pen.

Edited to add. Ugh. It's a big mud puddle inside and out of their house. I'm going to have to go dig some trenches once I get the kids to school to let the water escape and to divert the river that is running through their yard. Hopefully this wind will help dry it out but we get water running under the surface for a good month after heavy rains which isn't going to help it dry.

And edited again to add all done! 2 hrs later! Rivers diverted, pigeons cleaned and dry, tree branches removed and netting over their run repaired to keep out visitors. It's one big muddy mess though. I think I might have to get a load of sand or something to put over the mud in their house. It's all wet in there. Anyone use sand in a house successfully? Or should I just leave it to dry out?

Last edited:
Hello everyone l am from Sydney and love my chickens. l hope l can help people with their chicken problems and give tips for starters. I'm Bobchicken93.
frow.gif
Hi
welcome-byc.gif
The more the merrier.

Hi everyone, its not raining in Perth though they keep telling us it will. We are suppose to get a thunderstorm this afternoon and tomorrow morning. I'll believe it when I see it. I hope everyone is managing to stay dry.
The rain we had earlier has turned every empty patch of garden into a weed bed, but not the chicken run. They seem to nip every weed as its head show through. I've had to put pine wood chips/shavings down to keep the run drier for my silkies.
Lucky for me the only ones that will brave the rain are my ISA's they love it.

Actually that's a thought @luckysmum

What do you guys think of using wood chip rather than wood shavings in their run? Eventually I could rake it up and put round my trees or something maybe? I don't want to use shaving because of our crop history but they can't eat chips can they. Worries me they are going to be walking in mud for weeks now.

Actually that's a thought @luckysmum

What do you guys think of using wood chip rather than wood shavings in their run? Eventually I could rake it up and put round my trees or something maybe? I don't want to use shaving because of our crop history but they can't eat chips can they. Worries me they are going to be walking in mud for weeks now.

I have pine bark wood chip in one of my semi covered coops and it works well. You do need to lay it at least 4 inches deep and they will scratch it up , so I top it up every few months. :)

Back
Top Bottom