Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Does anyone know where there are chicken compititions where i can show off speckle in perth

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

We are in Melbourne and currently have two roosters and a hen about six months of age...looking at rehoming the two boys because as beautiful as the sound is....can't have it
1f612.png

Looking forward to raising hens, my daughter's adore them and they're beautiful alternatives cats and dogs for us at the moment
1f60a.png

Only problem is I have no idea what breed they are
1f602.png
[/IMG][/IMG]

Welcome and pleased to meet you.

I was thinking of a spare room - bare boards or tiles with a bit of straw or wood shavings, her food and water -   Or better still, if you have a second toilet - good air circulation, smallish and everything there, shut down and closed off.   Plenty of antiseptic cleansing afterwards though.  ;)  

Or if you could borrow or hire possum traps from the council / shire.    .... a bit bigger than a pet carrier, and all wire.  

Cheers .......  

The cages the council has here for possums are too small. Not allowed trap possums on purpose.
I don't have a room where I could lock the, up - but the percentage is high enough to dedicate a run to almost.
The d'uccles are easy - just take the nest egg away and they break themselves. Leave the egg and they stay clucky. Funny little things.

Still loving the camera on my phone. I wanted to share this snapped this pic a little while ago of my Mabel, who is forever getting her beard dirty. Every time I turn around it seems she has something either stuck in it or on it. She's also full of boundless energy (hence why I've only got two photos tops, of her that are NOT blurry). She is though super friendly, cuddly, and has such beautiful eyes.I think she's 8 months old now, and laying really well. Quite proud of how she's grown. :)
Gorgeous!

I'll try this again:

Holy moly I now have 4 laying chickens. And the noise while they argue over the nest box is hilarious. There are 3 nest boxes, but of course they all want the same one. Aurora the bantam Araucana will literally stand and shout at whoever is in there till they get out lol. I'm surprised the d'uccle and pekin eggs are the same size.

Perseverance pays off.

The cages the council has here for possums are too small. Not allowed trap possums on purpose.
I don't have a room where I could lock the, up - but the percentage is high enough to dedicate a run to almost.
The d'uccles are easy - just take the nest egg away and they break themselves. Leave the egg and they stay clucky. Funny little things.

MyHaven -

The traps here ( Victoria ) are very humane and large, and possums ( particularly the Brush Tails ) have to be trapped when they get into rooves, make nests and pee onto the ceiling etc. ( yes - even through insulation batts ). Council provides instructions, and I think they hire out traps, ..... Natural and other safe repellents are also legal to spray or paint on plants ( with only some success cos not much will stop a hungry possum
roll.png
).

Doesn't Queensland allowing humane trapping of possums ?

Have had the problem in the roof here ( mumma and babe !! ) ... and set the trap for Mumma, and hubby reached in to get bubba out during the day to put in with her - while Mum nibbled ( half asleep ) on bread and jam, with water in the trap too if she wanted it. We got our trap from a neighbour who had purchased one for the problem.

Had to move quickly to repair the roof in 3 places, so's they would not get back in. And had to release her and bub early evening while still lightish - 50 metres within our area .... as taking them to another area would be certain death for them - possums are soooo territorial and viciously protect their surrounds. There are strict rules for it all, and if not obeyed, a fine of up to $5000. !! hmmm.

Sounds like you have the clucky problem solved though now ... the d'uccles sound like little dreams ....

Cheers ......

Last edited:
Thank you to :

> Satay - replying to my query about fish oil for chickens and for congratulating Mindy and her double yolker.

> SilkieChickStar and Teila for ovations.

> MyHaven for info about Redhen 17 tucker, to do with double-yolks from your girls - - and an excellent wish for being able to bookmark or something so's not to lose the place we are at when on BYC. I Word Document things, but still have to go back and forth, from time to time, when replying specifically.

> On that score, if I have neglected to thank anyone for something ... apologies.

> And hearty welcomes to GingerRoseShy and Chloza ....

> Great photo's of some lovely chickens and eggs on here these past couple of days too ........

Cheers .....

Back
Top Bottom