Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

I hope the vet visit goes ok.

I am getting extraordinary number of double yokers from a range of the girls at the moment. From all the new layers. I changed to Redhen 17 in winter because I like the mix and blend. I have mixed it with lower protein laying mash since Fancy mention the damage too high protein can cause heritage breeds. I have been wondering if the feed could somehow be causing it because all the new girls have been on it since laying age.

Sorry for answering all posts indifferent order. I wish you could bookmark your place in the posts. On the omega 3 issue. I bought this, but haven't used it.

And there are three bodies in this accomodation.

I only have heritage breeds now I didn't know about the protein, Thanks. I use Redhen too but these new girls don't eat the pellets that are mixed with it (I don't like all the waste) as I'm buying enough for 70 birds at the moment I'm thinking of mixing my own but I'm not sure what to put together. any thoughts thanks.
Your silkie looks just like my blondie. My 2 silkies have just hatched 3 araucanas I will post pictures today.

Holy moly I now have 4 laying chickens. And the noise while they argue over the nest box is hilarious. There are 3 nest boxes, but of course they all want the same one. Aurora the bantam Araucana will literally stand and shout at whoever is in there till they get out ><

I have a couple of pet carriers but they won't give much air circulation which won't help. I still have the leghorn in the brooder.

Sad thing is I have to hatch some eggs. But because they're not for me or addition to my closed flock they have to be hatched in an incubator.

I was thinking of a spare room - bare boards or tiles with a bit of straw or wood shavings, her food and water - Or better still, if you have a second toilet - good air circulation, smallish and everything there, shut down and closed off. Plenty of antiseptic cleansing afterwards though.
wink.png

Or if you could borrow or hire possum traps from the council / shire. .... a bit bigger than a pet carrier, and all wire.

Cheers .......

Still loving the camera on my phone. I wanted to share this snapped this pic a little while ago of my Mabel, who is forever getting her beard dirty. Every time I turn around it seems she has something either stuck in it or on it. She's also full of boundless energy (hence why I've only got two photos tops, of her that are NOT blurry). She is though super friendly, cuddly, and has such beautiful eyes.I think she's 8 months old now, and laying really well. Quite proud of how she's grown.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom