Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Loving all the new chicky photos guys!
Sadly cho just a day after I put her back in the coop got out again and this time I didn't get there in time, it must have been while I was still in bed because I didn't hear anything
sad.png

But on a more positive note the 6 chicks I got are growing nicely, I'm thinking if we have a few warmer days they are almost old enough to join the older chicks, 3 of which are roosters so really they'll just be joining the one lonely pullet. They'll all be going into the big coop as with cho gone and ginny broody it's empty.
And yes ginny is still broody so in a fit of madness I went and bought 4 day old Sussex chicks today, just put them under her, boy was she mad!! She shuffled around so much trying to peck me she caught sight of the chicks and started going for them, but I put them in a pile sat her directly on them and she's now sitting tight, I'll be checking on her all night and hope by morning she thinks her plastic egg magically produced 4 babies for her to mother. I don't know how I'll choose what to keep when the time comes to comply with council regulations...

So sad to hear that Cho has gone ... guess she got caught by your pup or some predator on the loose, other than your puppy. I am not sure what she was doing to put herself in danger ... posts go back such a long way, and I only found one that was a possible explanation.

But as you said - on a positive note ... good that Ginny has settled happily on raising her four plastic egg chickens. Will keep her quiet for a while ...
smile.png

Good luck with all that ......

Cheers ..

Yes, the wild weather is certainly playing havoc. The main river isn't flooding yet all this water is coming down from the mountain. Can't get the cows and goats up , the Westpac rescue helicopter has just had to lift 5 people up from down the back of our neighbors place trying to rescue the sheep and lambs. It's going to be an anxious wait for high tide.

Have seen all your posts about the weather, the tree down - your brave chicken mumma sitting her ground ... and can only hope that the weather improves, and that forecasts we saw here in Victoria - for Tasmania are totally untrue. ... Hope you can get your cows and goats up to higher ground asap.

Been some serious weather problems in the south of Australia these past few days, as you more than well know. According to the BOM ... seems Monday and Wednesday next week you'd better be on your toes for a fair amount of rain ... but then, that kind of forecast can change in an instant ... and I sure hope it does - for all in Tasmania. Other than that, it seems there is some respite.

Good luck and Blessings to you, your family and your precious animals.

Sadly cho just a day after I put her back in the coop got out again and this time I didn't get there in time, it must have been while I was still in bed because I didn't hear anything
sad.png

But on a more positive note the 6 chicks I got are growing nicely, I'm thinking if we have a few warmer days they are almost old enough to join the older chicks, 3 of which are roosters so really they'll just be joining the one lonely pullet. They'll all be going into the big coop as with cho gone and ginny broody it's empty.
And yes ginny is still broody so in a fit of madness I went and bought 4 day old Sussex chicks today, just put them under her, boy was she mad!! She shuffled around so much trying to peck me she caught sight of the chicks and started going for them, but I put them in a pile sat her directly on them and she's now sitting tight, I'll be checking on her all night and hope by morning she thinks her plastic egg magically produced 4 babies for her to mother. I don't know how I'll choose what to keep when the time comes to comply with council regulations...
Sorry to hear about Cho. Good luck with ginny. What regulations?
wink.png

Yes, the wild weather is certainly playing havoc. The main river isn't flooding yet all this water is coming down from the mountain. Can't get the cows and goats up , the Westpac rescue helicopter has just had to lift 5 people up from down the back of our neighbors place trying to rescue the sheep and lambs. It's going to be an anxious wait for high tide.

Hope you and all your animals stay safe.

Sadly cho just a day after I put her back in the coop got out again and this time I didn't get there in time, it must have been while I was still in bed because I didn't hear anything :(

:hugs

Thanks guys, I'm pretty sure cho was caught by my pup, It's so hard to be patient and training takes so long when my chooks lives are at stake. I'd hate to have to re home my pup for this :( all I can do is make sure the coop is secure and not let them range unless the pup is tied up and I'm outside.
Thought I'd give you some pics Of my flock, looks vastly different from this time last year!
Only one of my original is still here, most of the others thankfully are just out on the farm

Ginny last night, not at all happy

Ginny this morning, completely different chook, seems pretty pleased with herself lol.

The chicks 4 weeks old, quickly outgrowing the brooder

The older guys, about 8 weeks, they were last 4 left from the daycare hatch so I'm surprised even one is a hen, not sure yet what to do with the roosters but they have to go soon

I'd rather be a crazy chook lady than just plain crazy!!

Thanks guys, I'm pretty sure cho was caught by my pup, It's so hard to be patient and training takes so long when my chooks lives are at stake. I'd hate to have to re home my pup for this
sad.png
all I can do is make sure the coop is secure and not let them range unless the pup is tied up and I'm outside.
Thought I'd give you some pics Of my flock, looks vastly different from this time last year!
Only one of my original is still here, most of the others thankfully are just out on the farm

Ginny last night, not at all happy

Ginny this morning, completely different chook, seems pretty pleased with herself lol.

The chicks 4 weeks old, quickly outgrowing the brooder

The older guys, about 8 weeks, they were last 4 left from the daycare hatch so I'm surprised even one is a hen, not sure yet what to do with the roosters but they have to go soon

I'd rather be a crazy chook lady than just plain crazy!!

What gorgeous babies. I have 10 light of mixed types that are about 12 weeks I don't see any with bigger combs so I'm not sure what I've got. Last time I hatched 3 light Sussex 2 had large combs but they all ended up being roos. I'm happy for you that Ginny has bounced back I'm sure she'll be a great mum.
smile.png

A sad non chicken warning for people from me this morning. Just as i had mentioned not seeing any deadly snakes lately. Hubby and i were up at our neighbours yesterday afternoon having a coffee when we here her two dogs Roofey a fox terrier and Angel a kelpie x going off down the back. Thinking they had got hold of a possum hubby went down to take a look, Next thing we here yelling from hubby check the dogs. He came up a few minutes later with a eastern brown snake he had to kill as the dogs had bitten it in the middle and shattered it's spine. Her fox terrior had bite marks to it's head. She raced him to the only vet open the uni at Gatton but even after having antivenom he didn't make it. R.I.P beautiful Roofey.
The thing that upsets me the most is when she arrived with him at the uni they hold her if she could not come up with at least half of the $2000 on the spot for the antivenom then they would not see him. (so much for a teaching hospital) that time of day in gatton there is nothing open and being an older lady she still banks with a passport. I offered to pay over the phone with my credit card but they wouldn't except it. Thankfully she had a friend with her that could get the money for her to at least give him a fighting chance. Of course i do understand people don't pay so the need for a deposit but that much to me just seems outrageous (Ok off my soap box now).He kept going down hill and they wanted an additional $3000 to put him on a ventilator but his chances were bad so she made the sad decision to let him go.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom