Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Sounds like fun. I have 2  broodies at the moment one australorp and midnight the silkie. I have just had 2 nesting and a 3rd not sure what it was doing and now the 4 silkie, I only have 4 silkies and they haven't been laying long. When everyone told me how clucky silkies were I didn't think they were that bad. haha  I keep pushing them out of the nest but it may have to be the crate for them to.  I have a steel wire crate do I just put them in one each. I have never done this before, usually a few days of me kicking them off has worked but the australorp is not happy.
I can just imagine you with the water pistol very funny. I'm glad it worked for you.

Doesn't matter how you do it but if you can keep them off the nest 24 hrs per day it will break them. If you let them back on at night it won't work so you need to be able to block access to the nest at night.

I just run some cheap plastic wire from Bunnings with tomato stakes across one end of my run during the day so they can't get to the nest box, then round 4:30 I lock the nest box and let them back in with the others. Always works and can contain more than one chicken at a time. Normally 3 days seems to be the magic number but once our silkie got super determined and it took a week.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter how you do it but if you can keep them off the nest 24 hrs per day it will break them. If you let them back on at night it won't work so you need to be able to block access to the nest at night.

I just run some cheap plastic wire from Bunnings with tomato stakes across one end of my run during the day so they can't get to the nest box, then round 4:30 I lock the nest box and let them back in with the others. Always works and can contain more than one chicken at a time. Normally 3 days seems to be the magic number but once our silkie got super determined and it took a week.

Thanks for that. I think that is a much easier way I will fence them off now. I was blocking the nest but can't when the other want to lay eggs.

i have 3 little dogs, live in the bush and have seen a few browns around Eeek! i have heard that vitamin C is good to give extra time to get to a vet (mine is at least 40mins away). I was wondering if you could tell me where you get it from?
Thanks

I have heard of vitamin C before but not really much on the doses so i will get pat to get some and keep it in the fridge just incase she needs it again. The vets this side of the highway are really good with the elderly letting them pay things off etc but our vets and the 2 surrounding town vets no longer offer out of hours, something to do with cost to pay someone to be on call for the amount of call outs. So for poor little Roofey it was just bad timing and with the amount of bites he probably would have passed regardless.

A hearty
welcome-byc.gif
to Emmskate ... and I see you have seen some browns around. Not nice ... I too wonder where to get the Vitamin C injections from. purely for interest sake, as we are 6 minutes from our own Vet. Hope I never have to find out if that is near enough !!

To - satay and Fancy ... The vitamin C sounds like a fantastic idea to keep handy ... had never heard of that before. The notes on how to administer were very helpful.

Just hope I never have to think of using such a thing. I know there are snakes around - and we live between two creeks (
ep.gif
) quite aways apart though ... but fingers crossed, so far so good.

We have a largish wood pile, which while it is of fantastic use in the winter for warm fires, is a hazard in the summer ... for snakes that might be around, and as a fire hazard on bad days ... although it is not near the house.

Cheers .......

Last edited:
Mandy's Big Car Trip Today - - - in the paper lined cat carrier basket - which she messed on the way there. I rather think she likes the vibrations of the car - sits so quietly with bright alert eyes and not a sign of stress.

40 minutes there, 48 back in peak hour traffic.

Was given a bowl of water on the floor of the Avian Vet - Michelles' consulting room - and she promptly sat on it - upending it all over the place.
roll.png
Then she walked slowly around, inspecting every nook and cranny before quietly settling into a sit. Did not mind the young woman Vet handling her - did not like the male Vet a month back, though. !!

Mandy was thoroughly investigated, palpated, throat inspection, foot inspection - legs - skin, vent, crop etc.

No mites or lice ( upon penetrating inspection - no black / red spots either,. to be seen under wings or around vent )
No ascites.
Not visceral gout - considering she eats so well, drinks plenty of water, looks bright eyed & healthy.
Not viral arthritis - she would be a very sick bird if it was.
No palpated lumps or unusual things where they shouldn't be.
Not egg bound.
No bumblefoot.
No swellings in either legs.
Claws and beak as they should be.
Eyes bright, and healthy coloured comb and wattle.
No struggle when she extended her legs from hip (? ) out and back, quite strongly.
Good crop ( which I often cannot find - she hangs it low !! --- but it is not a pendulous crop ).
She is a good weight ( above average for a Welsummer hen, but now not as heavy as she was ).

Vet saw her rather loose droppings in the basket and was not concerned about that. She does that when in lay mode only.

She did however, list the various things it could be in a 4 year old pure bred chicken, ( considered as being aging now ). Looming kidney disfunction, liver problem, reproductive system disfunction .... or just plain older age. .... she did remind me however, that birds are notorious for hiding symptoms.

And certainly the possibility of simple arthritis. I learned that many uproars in chickens, find their way down via their peculiar nervous system structure - to the legs / feet - pain / discomfort.

Blood tests, and an implant to stop her reproductive system altogether was discussed ( in case it is something haywire with that - and it also benefits other situations apparently ). But without blood tests ( as for most Vets ) it becomes the best of possibilities and guess work. As everyone here knows, blood tests are the important tell-most-all-of, diagnostic tool for any animal or bird.

I opted for no blood tests at this time ... as Michelle had offered a pain reducing 1/4 tablet x 2 pd. of an anti-inflammatory .. Carprofen - [ again a dog med ] - for 10 days. I am to telephone or email her how she is - after that time. Further withholding of eggs, 3 weeks after that. She is very interested to pursue Mandys' mobility over the next 10 days. Hoping I have good news then. Btw - aspirin, while ok for chickens, is not as effective as is often thought.

Got her home, put her down and she strode with tail erect, into the coop - and hopped into layer pellets like she'd been starved for a week.
pop.gif
Stood to do it all the time - then turned to her water. I have seen her do that on quite a few occasions - but perhaps it was the carprofen kicking in as well ? Will reserve judgement on that.

It did occur to me that she is 'having me on' !!
lau.gif
... she loves being picked up and taken inside the laundry. Maybe she's like a kid who says, "Mum - no school today - I've got a tummy ache" !!! ( only joking ).

Did say I would let you all know ... and this long lot is it. ... Am pleased I took her there, was delighted with the time and effort the vet gave, and am happy to progress bit by bit ( including blood test if necessary ) ... as we go along. Other than that, she is an aging pure bred and .......
idunno.gif
who knows with chickens !!

Cheers all .....

Last edited:
i have 3 little dogs, live in the bush and have seen a few browns around Eeek! i have heard that vitamin C is good to give extra time to get to a vet (mine is at least 40mins away). I was wondering if you could tell me where you get it from?
Thanks

Hi, welcome. I buy mine from our ag store, it has to be refrigerated or kept below 16 degrees so I'm not sure about buying it online, but you could ask them how they ship.
1f60a.png

http://www.vetnpetdirect.com.au/TROYVITC#.V_LFnnQ8afA

I have Pat Coleby's books and the information has saved many of my animals. I had a goat go down and she was all but gone, called the local vet and she said that she only does home visits on Wednesday . I had nothing to lose so I took Pats advice and ultimately saved the goat. The vet rang me and asked me what treatment I had used because she had no experience with livestock.
I'm no vet and I don't have a degree but I have many animals and the best incentive to learn how to help them , compassion. Sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands.
1f60a.png

http://www.aaasa.com.au/resources/research-and-publications?download=454:vitamin-c-and-snake-bites

Mandy's Big Car Trip Today - - - in the paper lined cat carrier basket - which she messed on the way there. I rather think she likes the vibrations of the car - sits so quietly with bright alert eyes and not a sign of stress.

40 minutes there, 48 back in peak hour traffic.

Was given a bowl of water on the floor of the Avian Vet - Michelles' consulting room - and she promptly sat on it - upending it all over the place.
roll.png
Then she walked slowly around, inspecting every nook and cranny before quietly settling into a sit. Did not mind the young woman Vet handling her - did not like the male Vet a month back, though. !!

Mandy was thoroughly investigated, palpated, throat inspection, foot inspection - legs - skin, vent, crop etc.

No mites or lice ( upon penetrating inspection - no black / red spots either,. to be seen under wings or around vent )
No ascites.
Not visceral gout - considering she eats so well, drinks plenty of water, looks bright eyed & healthy.
Not viral arthritis - she would be a very sick bird if it was.
No palpated lumps or unusual things where they shouldn't be.
Not egg bound.
No bumblefoot.
No swellings in either legs.
Claws and beak as they should be.
Eyes bright, and healthy coloured comb and wattle.
No struggle when she extended her legs from hip (? ) out and back, quite strongly.
Good crop ( which I often cannot find - she hangs it low !! --- but it is not a pendulous crop ).
She is a good weight ( above average for a Welsummer hen, but now not as heavy as she was ).

Vet saw her rather loose droppings in the basket and was not concerned about that. She does that when in lay mode only.

She did however, list the various things it could be in a 4 year old pure bred chicken, ( considered as being aging now ). Looming kidney disfunction, liver problem, reproductive system disfunction .... or just plain older age. .... she did remind me however, that birds are notorious for hiding symptoms.

And certainly the possibility of simple arthritis. I learned that many uproars in chickens, find their way down via their peculiar nervous system structure - to the legs / feet - pain / discomfort.

Blood tests, and an implant to stop her reproductive system altogether was discussed ( in case it is something haywire with that - and it also benefits other situations apparently ). But without blood tests ( as for most Vets ) it becomes the best of possibilities and guess work. As everyone here knows, blood tests are the important tell-most-all-of, diagnostic tool for any animal or bird.

I opted for no blood tests at this time ... as Michelle had offered a pain reducing 1/4 tablet x 2 pd. of an anti-inflammatory .. Carprofen - [ again a dog med ] - for 10 days. I am to telephone or email her how she is - after that time. Further withholding of eggs, 3 weeks after that. She is very interested to pursue Mandys' mobility over the next 10 days. Hoping I have good news then. Btw - aspirin, while ok for chickens, is not as effective as is often thought.

Got her home, put her down and she strode with tail erect, into the coop - and hopped into layer pellets like she'd been starved for a week.
pop.gif
Stood to do it all the time - then turned to her water. I have seen her do that on quite a few occasions - but perhaps it was the carprofen kicking in as well ? Will reserve judgement on that.

It did occur to me that she is 'having me on' !!
lau.gif
... she loves being picked up and taken inside the laundry. Maybe she's like a kid who says, "Mum - no school today - I've got a tummy ache" !!! ( only joking ).

Did say I would let you all know ... and this long lot is it. ... Am pleased I took her there, was delighted with the time and effort the vet gave, and am happy to progress bit by bit ( including blood test if necessary ) ... as we go along. Other than that, she is an aging pure bred and .......
idunno.gif
who knows with chickens !!

Cheers all .....

One can only hope she is just playing to get in the laundry.
lol.png
I do hope its nothing serious just a bit of old age.

welcome-byc.gif
to Emmskate.
We don't get snakes here. We did in the last 2 house. Can be a bit scary. I hope everyone stays safe as they wake from winter slumber.

Back
Top Bottom