Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by duckyfromoz, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Sid, you can get piperazine at the pet shop. As with most chook wormers , it only treats for round worm( ascaridia Galli ). It's a fairly easy procedure . Add it to the water, making sure that it is their only water source. You need to repeat it again in 10 days. I use piperazine and then alternate with panacur ( fenbendazole ) goat wormer. The panacur is easy for me cause I have it on hand for my goats, and it kills all worms including tape.

2. Bens-Hens

Bens-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

We used Aristopet's 'Worm-enda poultry wormer' in our last flock.

Claims no withhold period for eggs. Claims to treat; Round worm, Caecal worm and Hair worm.

From memory was about $14 from Pet Magic.

I have read many times that they build an immunity to wormers so as Lisa say's, alternate products with your treatments.

[​IMG]

3. TheChookPatch

TheChookPatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    Hi all, been a while. I've been flat out.....There is so much to catch up on so I will just quickly jump in here...
    I've have 3 golden pheasant eggs due in two days and two are already pipping! It's a bit hard to see in the picture but I will update on their progress.
    [​IMG]

We had a visit from mr Fox the other week and I lost all my call ducks. The (insert fowl language here) #@/$#%^& broke through the wire :( I so wished there was an egg in their pen or run, they were such nice natured little beings... poor little things.

I've been hatching non stop so have many many beautiful babies around the farm. Opal my blue croad is sitting on eggs and velvet my pheasant seems to have cottoned on to me pinching her eggs and has resorted to burying them in the hay so I'm going to let her finish laying her clutch, I have six more in the incubator due in a couple of weeks :)

how long is she away for? If she is not away for long and no bugs are attacking it I would just leave it for her to pick.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  4. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    We arent sure yet but could be a few more weeks or around xmas. It says they get woody if too big??

5. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Good to see you again Chook. Can't wait to see pictures of your pheasants when they hatch. Sorry about the loss of your ducks. Foxes are just horrible things to have around.

6. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    I usually use big L wormer or piperazine.

7. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Really nice coop :)

8. Millsy

Millsy Out Of The Brooder

Hi guys just about to head off and buy my first few chooks. Any advice on breed we live in town so can't have a roster and was thinking about silikies but I've heard they don't lay eggs much and the fact the eggs are half the size but considering I'm new to all this any advice would be great :)

9. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Silkies are small and so are their eggs. I would go australorp or isa brown if you want a good size egg layer . Get at least 2 as chickens need friends.

10. Millsy

Millsy Out Of The Brooder

Thanks for the advice much appreciated, will be getting at least 4 chooks just there's just so many breeds to choose from all seem to have good points so it's making it hard the egg production thing isn't a deal breaker I guess considering I'm the only one that eats eggs the wife don't fancy eggs at all. The wife likes the look of the silkie are they harder to keep than others?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by