Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by duckyfromoz, Nov 16, 2011.

1. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia

If you don't want to hatch eggs I wouldn't go silkies (unless you love the look). Ours spends far more time broody than she does laying so we are constantly having to get her unbroody which means no eggs. Think we got two eggs between this bout of broodiness and the last.

I love all the exotic breeds but am seriously thinking about going for something with the broodiness bred out mostly. We have been averaging 2 eggs a day with 7 chooks because half of them are always broody.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is decide what your priority is. If its pets and friendliness go with something a bit more interesting. If its soley egg production stick with the tried and true but more common breeds.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  2. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Another thing to keep in mind, silkies don't fly and are not capable of getting up to high perches. Lots of ladders or low perches.

3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Fancychooklady, you could be my new best friend lols! I am learning as I go along and you have a wealth of knowledge!
    As I mentioned, Cilla went broody and I didn't fancy the available options of breaking that broodiness so I drove out to a lady who was selling fertile Bantam Silkie eggs and bought 5!
    I wish I had more time and didn't live in suburbia because I love spending time with my girls and would love to have more. Showing was not a consideration.
    I have to admit, the rate they are growing, I did check back on her advert that she said 'Bantam" .. ah well, they are what they are and I adore them! :)

4. SydneyChickens

SydneyChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    AUSTRALORPS! Quiet, good layers and mine are more like dogs haha LOVE a cuddle and purebreeds should lay most their life!

[​IMG]

Wilma and I - my Australorp [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. SydneyChickens

SydneyChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    PS: Thanx so much for the advise guys with worming! I got two the one starting with P lol and the one in a green bottle with a pic of a chicken, that was all they had but ill alternate between the two.

xx

6. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Cute pics Sid. Exciting news. My avatar pic has been selected for the 2014 calendar . Wait till I tell my daughter. Got visitors from WA dropping in. Got get ready.

7. TheChookPatch

TheChookPatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    Thanks satay, they were very sweet birds, I have some ducks lined up for the end of the season, fingers crossed :)
    Two fluffy golden pheasant babies so far and one pipping :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  8. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    :love

9. Millsy

Millsy Out Of The Brooder

Quick question guys thanks in advance. Can u have a mixed flock, I would like the eggs from a common mix breed chicken but would also like a few silkies as well

10. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    My silkies get on quite well with everyone else. In fact I have a silkie that thinks she is a Wyandotte. :lau

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by