Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Kat because its a cross the tail may be more like one parent than the others like Satay says look for pointy-er feathers hackles or tail and the comb doesn't look any bigger or brighter than the others. I would go with satays original assessment.

Thank you satay... Hopefully your right and it's a girl. Hopefully no roo traits shows in the next 6 weeks.

Iamsamsam she is hard to get near to suss her feathers out... She is a bit of a cranky one, it was only when I tried to take a pic she came close to check out what I was doing I got a very quick look . I always struggle to tell with the hackle feathers.

Not sure if this helps Kat this is one of my marans roos. He is about 17 weeks i think. Born July 25. (note luke would be so proud of me remembering the date they were born lol)See the long neck feathers on the roo. They are the hackle feathers.

Last edited:
Thank satay yeah I can see the difference there...With my RSL I had to only go by their tail their hackles weren't prominent til 18 weeks. Just got my son to catch her and she is def a cranky girl. So I get to keep her and not travel to Coldstream to give her back. Happy now :)

A question for anyone that has marans. What age do you think they will start to lay? I am thinking around the 24 weeks or so. My girls are becoming very red in the face not noticed any squatting for the males yet though. They run and scream if a roo goes near them so far lol.

Last edited:
A question for anyone that has marans. What age do you think they will start to lay? I am thinking around the 24 weeks or so. My girls are becoming very red in the face not noticed any squatting for the males yet though. They run and scream if a roo goes near them so far lol.

My pullets have all just started laying Satay. Because they hid their eggs, I am actually not sure exactly when they started, but they were all laying by about 25 weeks. It was prob about 24 weeks, but who knows? :idunno One was squatting at about 19 weeks, but then didn't find her eggs for ages. .

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom