Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by duckyfromoz, Nov 16, 2011.

1. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Congrats to Sandee and others that have new chicks hatch. Sorry for your loss of your chick luke.
    Had another fun weekend here . Friday my son had a friend from Brisbane come up for the weekend. They took thor for a walk down the gully. When they got back they said it was odd he had trouble getting back up the bank.(this is about 6pm) Hubby looks and he has another tick :( Pulled it off and kept an eye on him as at that stage he was showing no signs of effects from it. By Saturday morning he could hardly get up so we raced him tot he local vets. They kept him in to monitor him for 6 hours as they only like to use anitvenom as a last resort as they can become allergic to it and if he needed it again he may not be able to have it. After 6 hours he was no worse so we got to take him home. They said he is one lucky boy. They tick washed him there. He is still very lethargic this morning and a little better I would think but certainly no worse.Vet said it could take up to 7 days for him to get his strength back. My poor thor... So now I am on the look out for yet another tick treatment. He had on a tick collar and advantix spot on as well as being bathed in wool wash. Will have to see what other brands I can find and try them.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  2. rexy

rexy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    Gold Coast, Australia

Sorry to tell you Satay, but none are really failsafe. They all still require a check of the dog. Sorry about Thor, but fabulous that he didn't need the antivenom. I have to say that was one of the good things about Victoria, no ticks. Lots of deadly snakes instead. Oh well, that's Australia. Perfect but with a bite in her tail

Congrats on the new babies. One of the cutest sights in the world, Mama and her baby chicks.

3. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Oh appps sorry to hear that. There is nothing worse than minding a pet for someone and having it die on you. I am sure your sister will realize you did the best you could for it.

4. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Yep that is true rexy unfortunately the vet says all the rain we have had has made they come out of the woods everywhere. I checked him Thursday but obviously not quite well enough. I will be making sure I do a much more thorough job every night now. Yeah we get both snakes and ticks gotta love qld .

5. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Satay your lucky yon got it in time. When you pull the tick it will release toxins in to the host. If you have pure tea tree oil, dab it on the tick with an ear bud and it will drop off. If I were you I would be looking into tea tree products as well.

6. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    We have a tick removal tool that we got from the vets last time. I will however keep that in mind hoping i dont have to use it in future. Thanks fancy :)

7. Millsy

Millsy Out Of The Brooder

Well the the little fluffy chicken bug has bit hard and now we have 3 silkes 2 frizzle Peking and a polish and no commercial layers anymore they went to a farm to join a big flock and live out there days on the range. Wife is really getting Into chickens more than I expected which I don't know if it's a good thing or not yet hahaha, time will tell. I will chuck so photos up later of the new members to the flock.

8. IamSamSam

IamSamSam Chillin' With My Peeps

Satay if you can get Thor to eat clove of garlic I have used that to stop flees and ticks in my dogs. Ticks seem not to like the taste

9. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Thanks Sam. I have found a different spot on to try once it arrives in the mail in a few days. I put garlic in there food when i make it but I will see if I can get him to eat any raw.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  10. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    lol I started with 9 hens but really only wanted 2 or 3 at the time. Now look how many I have lol. It really can be addictive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by