Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Congrats to Sandee and others that have new chicks hatch. Sorry for your loss of your chick luke.
Had another fun weekend here . Friday my son had a friend from Brisbane come up for the weekend. They took thor for a walk down the gully. When they got back they said it was odd he had trouble getting back up the bank.(this is about 6pm) Hubby looks and he has another tick :( Pulled it off and kept an eye on him as at that stage he was showing no signs of effects from it. By Saturday morning he could hardly get up so we raced him tot he local vets. They kept him in to monitor him for 6 hours as they only like to use anitvenom as a last resort as they can become allergic to it and if he needed it again he may not be able to have it. After 6 hours he was no worse so we got to take him home. They said he is one lucky boy. They tick washed him there. He is still very lethargic this morning and a little better I would think but certainly no worse.Vet said it could take up to 7 days for him to get his strength back. My poor thor... So now I am on the look out for yet another tick treatment. He had on a tick collar and advantix spot on as well as being bathed in wool wash. Will have to see what other brands I can find and try them.

Last edited:
Congrats to Sandee and others that have new chicks hatch. Sorry for your loss of your chick luke.
Had another fun weekend here . Friday my son had a friend from Brisbane come up for the weekend. They took thor for a walk down the gully. When they got back they said it was odd he had trouble getting back up the bank.(this is about 6pm) Hubby looks and he has another tick :( Pulled it off and kept an eye on him as at that stage he was showing no signs of effects from it. By Saturday morning he could hardly get up so we raced him tot he local vets. They kept him in to monitor him for 6 hours as they only like to use anitvenom as a last resort as they can become allergic to it and if he needed it again he may not be able to have it. After 6 hours he was no worse so we got to take him home. They said he is one lucky boy. They tick washed him there. He is still very lethargic this morning and a little better I would think but certainly no worse.Vet said it could take up to 7 days for him to get his strength back. My poor thor... So now I am on the look out for yet another tick treatment. He had on a tick collar and advantix spot on as well as being bathed in wool wash. Will have to see what other brands I can find and try them.

Sorry to tell you Satay, but none are really failsafe. They all still require a check of the dog. Sorry about Thor, but fabulous that he didn't need the antivenom. I have to say that was one of the good things about Victoria, no ticks. Lots of deadly snakes instead. Oh well, that's Australia. Perfect but with a bite in her tail

Congrats on the new babies. One of the cutest sights in the world, Mama and her baby chicks.

Well we had an awful day yesterday. One of the doves I was babysitting had a sort of seizure in front of my daughter and dropped dead. Poor kid was a bit traumatized to put it nicely.

It had been fine earlier, even escaped with the other one a few times to go on big explores round the house and we had had to keep popping them back in their little run. Just before leaving for town I noticed it was sitting quite droopy on the perch then on the floor then I was in shopping and got a phone call from hubby to say it had just died.

Its a horrid feeling to have a pet you are caring for die. I'm dreading telling my sister.

Oh appps sorry to hear that. There is nothing worse than minding a pet for someone and having it die on you. I am sure your sister will realize you did the best you could for it.

Sorry to tell you Satay, but none are really failsafe. They all still require a check of the dog. Sorry about Thor, but fabulous that he didn't need the antivenom. I have to say that was one of the good things about Victoria, no ticks. Lots of deadly snakes instead. Oh well, that's Australia. Perfect but with a bite in her tail

Congrats on the new babies. One of the cutest sights in the world, Mama and her baby chicks.

Yep that is true rexy unfortunately the vet says all the rain we have had has made they come out of the woods everywhere. I checked him Thursday but obviously not quite well enough. I will be making sure I do a much more thorough job every night now. Yeah we get both snakes and ticks gotta love qld .

Satay your lucky yon got it in time. When you pull the tick it will release toxins in to the host. If you have pure tea tree oil, dab it on the tick with an ear bud and it will drop off. If I were you I would be looking into tea tree products as well.

Well the the little fluffy chicken bug has bit hard and now we have 3 silkes 2 frizzle Peking and a polish and no commercial layers anymore they went to a farm to join a big flock and live out there days on the range. Wife is really getting Into chickens more than I expected which I don't know if it's a good thing or not yet hahaha, time will tell. I will chuck so photos up later of the new members to the flock.

Satay if you can get Thor to eat clove of garlic I have used that to stop flees and ticks in my dogs. Ticks seem not to like the taste

Thanks Sam. I have found a different spot on to try once it arrives in the mail in a few days. I put garlic in there food when i make it but I will see if I can get him to eat any raw.

Last edited:
Well the the little fluffy chicken bug has bit hard and now we have 3 silkes 2 frizzle Peking and a polish and no commercial layers anymore they went to a farm to join a big flock and live out there days on the range. Wife is really getting Into chickens more than I expected which I don't know if it's a good thing or not yet hahaha, time will tell. I will chuck so photos up later of the new members to the flock.

lol I started with 9 hens but really only wanted 2 or 3 at the time. Now look how many I have lol. It really can be addictive.

Back
Top Bottom