Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by duckyfromoz, Nov 16, 2011.

1. IamSamSam

IamSamSam Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks fancy satay.

He had a lot of green sheen on his black tail.

I might email the owners daughter if I can find it again.

2. IamSamSam

Hmmm do you have rat issues around :) My friend raises birds - lots of Aviaries and uses her brothers 'snake scent" to keep them away !

But I do miss Piddles when you have the chance Satay Id love updated Pics of Mila

3. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Speaking of snakes, we had a one day event today and there were 2 tiger snakes spotted on the cross country course. I have writers cramp. I spent 4 hours pencilling for dressage , then got roped in to score for show jumping. Yee, my head hurts. Got home to find the chooks standing on the driveway , waiting for dinner.

4. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    I have a brilliant cat that loves bush rats so we really don't see many rats at all. I wreckon snake poop would keep anything away that is the worst smelling stuff you will find. I will try to get some pics of mil for you next time she is out.

5. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    tigers and death adders are two of the snakes you should really try to avoid. Most snakes will get out of the way when they hear you approaching. Tigers will stay to fight and continually bite. Death adders will curl up and try(they are timid) to hide so you wont know they are there til it bites you. A death adder can bite it's own tail in a 100th of a second.

6. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Very excited this morning. I got my first marans egg yesterday at 18 1/2 weeks. Hubby said he saw my blue marans in the tractor by herself going off he thought she was hurt so he raced over to look and she had laid a small dark brown egg. I took a picture of it and as soon as i can find where i put the camera last night i will post it.

7. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    In tassie we only have 3 types of snake. Tiger, copper head and whip snake. It's $5000 for the antivenin at the vet if your dog gets bitten. Every season someone we know loses a dog or horse to them. Last year my horses trampled a copperhead. I keep injectable vitamin C in the fridge and know that it may be the difference between life and death. Good luck with your hatch.

8. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    I have heard of injectable vitamin c for snake bites but how does it work? I have heard of a few farmers out here that have had snake bites. Browns apparently are the main one that bite your dogs and cattle out this way

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  9. IamSamSam

My nan only has coastal and diamond pythons but we have had the king browns - nasty critters with a bad temper. We used to keep inject vit c for our horse we thought she was bitten once but turned out she had been chased by a dog and hit her face badly and the nerve damage stopped her eating that was scary day I was 9 then

Grats on the maran egg Satay

10. rexy

rexy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    Gold Coast, Australia

congrats. That is nice and early. :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by