Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by duckyfromoz, Nov 16, 2011.

1. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Thanks rexy it sure is early i thought they would be weeks off still. Still can't find the camera. How one looses a bright orange camera i don't know. Asked hubby when he rang before if he saw what i did with it and he said no but did you check the fridge... very funny that hubby of mine.. I did take a little peak after i hung up it's not there either . I just found it in the darn draw i searched twice already this morning.:rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    This pic really doesnt do it justice it is really dark brown, first egg is an aussie egg, then a welsummer eggs and then the marans egg. It's about the size of a large bantie egg,

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  2. rexy

rexy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    Gold Coast, Australia

Very, very hard to get accurate pics of eggs. Sometimes I just fluke one. Were you happy with the colour? Where did you get these ones from? Have you managed to get any photos of them? How many have you got? Ok, that's enough questions for now.

3. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Thanks rexy. The fact i am a really bad photographer doesn't help my cause either lol.
    I have 5 french wheaties and 1 blue and 1 black in females. I have 2 males left from that hatch and 1 male from a friend all french wheaties. I got them from julie mculloch ( eggs that i hatched ). I hatched 12 out of 12 eggs sold one black one at a week old and have rehomed 2 of the boys from that hatch. Think i have posted many pics of them before but will have a look for you see if i can find some. I love the colour of this one. Will have to take a look at the chart later but my guess would be a 5 .

4. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    I follow Pat Coleby's natural animal care. Injectable vitamin C costs me $16 for 50ml , but it has to be refrigerated. We use it for snake , spider and tick bites. My inlaws live outside mudgee and their Dalmatian was bitten 4-6 times by a brown snake. He collapsed and went into shock and the vet was 2 hours away, so they gave him massive doses of vit C , he survived and the vet was amazed. My theory is , that my chances of getting a vet here in time are pretty slim, so if the occasion arises I will have the vitamin C on hand ( in the fridge ). I have saved several goats using Pats methods. Sodium ascorbate should also be rubbed into the bite area, whether it be snake, tick or spider.

1 person likes this.
  5. TheChookPatch

TheChookPatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    Sorry to hear of your loss rexy, I still get a little teary about my ducks, especially when I see all the grass growing in their pen :( I hope the little Marans babies you hatched were all ok.

Your property is beautiful ash. Lovely set up.

I had ferrets growing up. They are very intelligent little animals. My brothers had hunting ferrets and one year after Rodent gave birth she developed mastitis and I was left to look after her remaining two kits. They were like little sausages with no hair and still had their eyes closed. Only one kit survived, Teddi, but due to lack of milk she developed a calcium deficiency and her spine developed scoliosis (like owner like pet as I have a deformed spine from scoliosis also) but this meant she couldn't do some of the naughtier things that ferrets do like climb up curtains etc. But she could still get around like a little bullet and she played like a cat and a dog, she'd fetch, come, and play like a kitten with no claws. They learn to control their mouths like dogs if trained from really young, Teddi would never bite but you could get her to hold onto your finger while you dragged her around the floor in her back... I have awesome photos of her but they are all in inverloch for the fire season so next time I go down there I will dig them up. Hilarious little animals. But I also agree with you ash, If they are not domesticated they are instinctual predators and I have heard of many feral ferrets taking whole flocks.

6. TheChookPatch

Jun 22, 2013
    How are all of the Victorian birds coping with the burst of heat?

7. IamSamSam

IamSamSam Chillin' With My Peeps

Think i need to look that up .. sounds fantastic .. i used it because the vet said too LOL thanks Fancy

8. rexy

rexy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    Gold Coast, Australia

Sorry, still not convinced on the ferrets.

My hatched chicks are all fine, 3 girls and 6 boys. I did lose 8 chicks that were with a broody, some marans and oe's.

I am just interested in their colours, Satay. It is a bit of an obsession with me, getting the wheaten colour right. That lady is up north somewhere isn't she?

Great to hear from you Chook. There was someone on the other Aussie thread looking for olive eggers, and I did mention that you were on this thread and had some. How's your farm hunting going?

9. TheChookPatch

Jun 22, 2013
    A wee bit stressful but I am getting lots of birds sorted and updating my birds evolution pro. We are looking at a farm tomorrow but I am hoping we find something a bit closer. The school out that way only has 8 kids in it which could be a good thing but I don't know. .. we will have to check it out. I'm confident the perfect property will pop up though! My olive Eggers are going fantastic. This seasons dark olive egger chicks are amazing. [​IMG]
    I'm getting wheaten and black copper consistently from the dark olive eggs and this wheaten and blue colour from Pearly and Sparky as well as blue wheaten. I will take a few more pics when it cools down :)

10. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Thanks Fancy. Think I will look that up and get some for the fridge with the poor luck my thor has had this year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by