Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by duckyfromoz, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Ooooh yeah satay, I am wandering around the house making a nuisance of myself .. I can't go outside and play with my girls and bubbies!! Hasn't stopped raining since I got up 3 hours ago and the radar is promising more!
    I want to go and pick up the pullet grower I ordered and check out the Brendale Produce store which I have never been too. (They ordered the feed in for me as my normal produce store does not stock it).
    The rain won't stop me though! lol
    I am keeping one eye on the silkie bubbies so that no-one gets completely soaked. They are a tad damp but not sopping. I have large dry areas for the two adults and 5 babies but they are all trying to squish under the smallest semi-dry area they can find .. go figure! lol

2. Anniebee

Anniebee Chillin' With My Peeps

Your pics are great, and the twins are lovely. Fongo is a magnificently marked / coated animal. I know they are of the same family as otters. which are also apparently trainable if handled from an early age. ( that only comes from seeing a documentary on them - I don't think we have otters here ). Are they ( and I am not joking ) toilet trained .... can they get around inside with you, without any ' little calling cards being dropped ' ? My old memory is working overtime here - but from what I can recall, ferrets have a very distinct and strong odour about them. Do you or can you bath them ? Make them smell a bit sweeter ? I am genuinely interested ... not in actually getting a ferret as a pet - have enough to do with 1 ancient cat, 1 boisterous large young dog and 3 chooks, but because I love all animals. Was very surprised that ferrets and bunnies are not permitted in Queensland. There must be an abundance of rabbits at least up there in the wild, and it's a shame to be denied the fun of a dear little bunny to cuddle as a pet. Are there any other reasons for that ban on both ? You can PM me if you wish to reply .... we have departed from the chicken subjects somewhat !! [​IMG]

Cheers ----- AB

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  3. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia

Had no idea they were illegal in some states. They on my hubby's list of pets he would like with the snakes and lizards. But reading your post I don't think they would get enough time devoted to making them good pets.

Kids came in one day all freaked out saying mum there's a ferret on the back verandah. I tried to convince them it wouldn't be a ferret but they insisted and sure enough went outside and a ferret popped its head up from under the deck.

I caught it with some sausage in a cat carrier and it turned out to belong to the neighbours across the road. It really was pretty cute :) but not something you expect to find on your back deck lol

4. rexy

rexy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Satay, yes, we got a nice steady rain since about 11pm till now. First time we have had a nice rain. Other rain events have both been hail and rain dumping in half hour.

All you "normal" people out there. You know that some people exist without any "critters". Obviously, no one on here could, and neither could I. :lau BUT I don't want a ferret or snake.

5. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Neither do I rexy thats why Ive made it clear if one comes home im buying a hairless cat. So far thats been enough to keep him too scared to buy either lol

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

lolz rexy [​IMG]
    "Exist without any critters" ?? .. please explain! lol

That made me think. I cannot remember a time that I have not shared my life with a critter of some description. Even in my younger days (many, many, many, many years ago), living in a one bedroom flat by myself I had a budgie. Without my finned, feathered and furry babies there would be a huge hole in my life; I wouldn't know what to do with myself! [​IMG]

7. rexy

rexy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    Gold Coast, Australia

Ditto. They have helped me get through some very bad times in my life also. Great psychiatrists!!

8. SandeeC

SandeeC Chillin' With My Peeps

See that's the worst part, you can't feed them sausages long term, too high in fibre :( Their diet consists of low fibre high in protein :) No fibre is better :) Hence why I cook mine fresh meat (rabbit or kangaroo) nothing with rice, pasta etc. Fibre actually kills them

9. SandeeC

SandeeC Chillin' With My Peeps

Some people make the mistake of bathing them too regularly :( Mine get a bath once a month during summer and only March and September at other times. More times you bath them, the more their oil glands take over and make more smell :) If they are desexed they smell less as well :) I have no idea why ferrets are banned in QLD, shame really, but I think it's cause of the amount of Mixo getting around up there. My mum's dog died of Mixo :( Not good :(
    Ferrets are a mustalids :) related to badgers, weasels, otters etc :) Ferrets are the cleanest of animals as far as I am concerned, mine play and run to the other end of the house to use their litter tray, not like my son's cat who goes to the toilet where he pleases :( Ferrets only poo or pee in the same area of the house all the time
    They don't stick as such ( they do if you don't clean out their cage and litter tray), they sort of have a musty smell, which I love :) But males can spray a scent that is horrid if they are frightened or alarmed, no sudden movements in our house.
    Our ferrets love our cat, even share food, play etc, they just hate any other cat that is around :) I got my first boy at 8 months, he was shocking, very aggressive, but with regular handling he became the best ferret ever :)

10. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by