Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by duckyfromoz, Nov 16, 2011.

1. SandeeC

SandeeC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine ignore the chickens :) It's how they are trained :)

2. Anniebee

Anniebee Chillin' With My Peeps

LOL Teila. Blinkers are a great idea - [​IMG] I will however, make sure my hubby never sees this post, as he might get some ideas - when I visit people with chickens, and the local stock and produce store ----- PLUS Bunnings ... which is my all time favourite place to shop for anything and everything, especially to do with construction of chook coops !!. It's a "take a cut lunch day" for me there. LOL. As for ducklings - I wouldn't DARE mention them here at home. ( but would love some ).

Cheers ........ AB

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  3. Anniebee

Was fascinated by your comment " it's how they are trained" ... so of course had to Google "Training Ferrets". !! I, among many I would suspect, did not know that they can be trained to react to a 'master' ( you ) ... and behave accordingly. A liitle like training a pup - establishing who is who in the scheme of things. Not easy ... but most likely, very rewarding. I rather like the little blokes myself, but have never had ferrets. My grandfather had them to chase out rabbits - but they were WILD little beggars - and used only for one purpose.... ferreting.

Cheers .......... AB

4. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

5. Anniebee

The pic is great as it is. Amazing photograph really. The little one is really on the go ... and Mum being a good Mum. My chickens have their wings clipped, so do not fly into trees - I cannot imagine trying to get them out of trees before bed-time. And around where I live, it would be dangerous to have them roost in trees at night. Never know what critters might get at them..
    A decent sized grevillia by the sounds of it - ours are nowhere near that tall. Thanks for replying.

Cheers ....... AB

6. rexy

rexy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    Gold Coast, Australia

Shame I already filled that order. Cos he was from Mullumbimby. Don't know anyone else within reach of you, sorry Luke. If they don't have good enough egg colour, I just sell them as layers. So you may need to do that with the two that don't lay as dark. Shame you are not a bit closer, cos I do have a couple of people wanting laying or pol from Brisbane.

7. rexy

rexy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    Gold Coast, Australia

Thanks, actually that shot was easier to take than normal shots of chickens. At least they were still. :lau Mine never stay still enough.

8. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia

Oh cool. Come spring next year (I am soo proud I've managed to hold out so far) I want to add new blood to our flock by hatching some eggs and light Sussex and the silver laced are top of my wish list. I will be watching your new project pens and chicks with great interest!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  9. SandeeC

SandeeC Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    My old boy "Fongo" wouldn't eat anything raw, had to be out of a can and microwaved. He never killed anything. Even the budgie knew he was safe. :)

[​IMG]
    My twins "Missy and Beau" they came from worker parents. They hate wild cats, come to me on command. This is the closest they'd get to a chicken. One will eat the yolk and the other the white of the egg :) Funny hey :)
    I hand raised these guys though, had them both from about 4 weeks old cause the parents kill off albino's thinking something is wrong with them :(
    I spend alot of hours training my ferrets, not just something can sit in a cage without being handled. They love human attention and will do the most wildest tricks to get love and treats of course :)

10. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Seems I need to get out more. Didn't even know we had ferrets in Australia. They do look like they would be great pets :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by