Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

So, All of you in here that have incubators, You breed to sell? I'm just naturally curious as I don't know a heap about chickens at the moment and was planning on if we got babies to just leave them with mum and let her do her job?

I began construction on my new chookie house today, Just basic frame work so far but things are happening :)

I do both Trish. If I have a broody I will use her to hatch if not the incubator, I breed to sell as well as breed to keep .

Anybody got any predator proofing ideas for Tazzy? and does anyone know if possums are an issue with food? :idunno

Possums aren't a problem with my food. But I have a blue cattle dog who keeps birds rats snake and cats n possums away ! Lol that's his job. Post a few pics of your coop and run and we may see a suggestion or two for you. And a Big hello and welcome

Quote:
The Tazzy Devil
lol.png
!!!
I am pretty sure there are foxes in Tas now.

Some people say they have seen foxes in Tazzy but I don't recon there are any, especially not in Hobart. The only predators I can think of are dogs, cats, and the slight possibility of a tiger snake during the summer.
1f40d.png

Here are some pics of my coop to be ( it's not done yet)

Last edited:
Some people say they have seen foxes in Tazzy but I don't recon there are any, especially not in Hobart. The only predators I can think of are dogs, cats, and the slight possibility of a tiger snake during the summer.
1f40d.png

Here are some pics of my coop to be ( it's not done yet)

Coop looks fabulous. :drool If ever you want a holiday in Qld, with the tiny task of building a couple of coops. Let me know .:thumbsup

It looks like the coop is in a backyard? If so, that will solve the problem of the worst predator you mention - dogs. That coop looks very secure, so if you are intending to shut them in at night, you should be fine. Cats are normally not a big problem for fully grown chooks, and tiger snakes may eat the eggs :idunno, but, as far as I know, are not an issue for chooks. Airborne predators - hawks and eagles - can be bad for chicks, and eagles can go for hens, but only if you are in the right area, ie rural usually, and near hills/mountains with an open area for them to swoop down. Dogs are my biggest issue, but only if I let them freerange outside fences, or if my fences aren't secure.

This is my boy that came home with us last week :) He's settled in nicely and I'm now starting to recognize when eggs are coming as he stands guard of the ladies and crows a bit while they're laying.

f64def97175188adc224b98ef6f54a97.jpg

Finally was able to get a pic of the other black ladies we have, I am unsure of the breed so if someone can help out that'd be awesome :)

63BDE2CD-3D34-4E8E-93DD-EF10C620A0EE-115-00000000FB5EB35A.jpg

Yes that was one of the factors with choosing the rcom pro was the power going out all the time, mine beeps and flashes a power plug if the power has gone out, it doesn't tell you how long it has gone out for but it picks up where it left off when the power comes back on... And it runs on 65 watts, I heard you can get a 'battery thing' normally used for computers which kicks in as soon as the power goes out, I think it only runs a few hours though but it is something I am going to look into as well.

OK, so my husband tells me what you're looking for is universally called a UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply) and they are available at most electronics stores (Dick Smith, Officeworks etc)
You'll have to do your research into how long you'll get based on the power consumption of your incubator.

Back
Top Bottom