Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

They need to identify their coop as home for them to return and that normally takes some time. Cross fingers she heads back and hears the others and rejoins them.

If they are flying out and away yeah I'd clip one wing. That or make the fence higher or roof the run. Only problem with clipping though is were something to attack them it hinders their escape chances.

I know my generation shouldn't ask this lol but does that translate as a four foot fence? If so yeah too low to keep determined chooks in.

Last edited:
Have been backing up all my many photo cd's to one large storage drive and came across this golden oldy. Had to share lol I cant believe they just let them cart them round like that and never flapped a feather :)

They carted those poor chooks everywhere :) I even discovered them hidden in my sons bedroom one day ! lol

You can't say Isa Browns and Australorpes arent good kid chooks :)

Oh what the heck one more :)

You know I think the chooks liked it as much as the kids, we went on holidays once for about a week. My mum was supposed to come over and feed them and get the eggs as payment. The chooks stopped laying the whole time we were gone and then a day or two after we got back they started back as normal again. Think they were stressed because they had no one to play with lol

Okay last one I promise!
This is the first day my youngest had no one at home because her big sister had started Kindy and her brother went to pre-school for the first time.
She just wandered around the house all lost with nobody to play with. Then I looked out the window and saw this. She had dragged her little chair up and sat with the chooks. She sat there for about ten minutes and they stayed next to her the whole time. It was so sweet :) and she was fine after that. We called it chooks as therapy :)

Last edited:
I am really sorry your first hatch didn't work Luke.
My first hatch a while ago was with bought eggs, but the next one I tried I used my bird's eggs and nothing hatched. Very disappointing.
I am hoping for some babies in 8 days, day 10 today. Not my quail's eggs. 
My birds are giving me 2-3 eggs a day now, but no idea if they are fertile or not. I guess there is only one way to find out :)

fingers crossed for you red:)

Yeah 1 has gone I've only had them since yesterday I have 2 left. The fence is about 1.2 meters high
Good news she has returned this morning. Went out to the coop this morning to find our dog had rounded her up next to the gate to the coop

Great photo's appps and Ben.
That first picture appps, that chicken looks so comfortable in such and awkward position.lol.

Thanks ash
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom