Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

When you are treating for cocci you should nt be feeding yoghurt or antibiotics. I'm not sure why you would be force feeding your birds. Coccidias is in the soil, so your birds will be reinfected , that is why you treat at full strength for 7 days , then 1/2 strength for a further 7 days and then another 7 days at 1/4 strength .
By doing this you are building the birds immunity. Amprolium is a vitamin B inhibitor and starves the coccidia . It is also all too easy to aspirate a chicken, if you are force feeding. I see that you have been getting advice from Kathy. If you feel the need to tube feed , she is the person to talk to. I hope you sort this out.

but is it cocci? how do you know? when we took claw to the vet the vet took a poop sample and looked at it under a microscope and she said there's only normal amounts of the cocci bacteria

As I said in my first post , it could be any number of things. Most birds can tolerate modest levels of cocci, while others will get very sick and die. If your birds are dying you need to either go to the vet or look at the symptoms and attempt to make a diagnoses . If you decide to go to a vet, try to find an avian specific one.

With the feeding it sounds good in theory and I can see now why you chose that concoction but its all just more stress introducing a total change in diet when they are sick.

When mine have been sick I've had good results with adding hot water to their normal pellets to make a mash and then cooling to just warm. I then sprinkle a bird vitamin powder over and mix through. To encourage their appetites I sprinkle a little bird food over to get them started.

If not drinking this also gets water into them and watermelon is another good liquid adding food.

If only off their food a day and a half I wouldn't be stressing them by tube feeding yet.

And as an aside. DE is not for them to eat. It supposably works by drying out what it touches and killing that way , so how it is supposed to stay dry to do this in a wet stomach is beyond me but I know people sometimes say use it for worms. Do a search and its pretty much discredited as a treatment for worms.

Last edited:
with the water melon we happen to buy one and she likes it quite a lot so we will give her access to it and the Demetrius earth kills external parasites buy suffocating them... external parasites are porous and breath through there skin and the Demetrius earth is like lots of microscopic spiky shards that puncture and kill external parasites... but that's not the reason we feed it to them, it abrades there stomach and intestines and cleans them out. we will start the Aprolium Treatment today.

There are many arguments for and against diatomaceous earth. I don't use anything I wouldn't be prepared to consume myself. We have used it for 30 years in our pool filters , with great caution cause it is said to be carcinogenic if inhaled. True or not , it has stayed in my mind all this time and for that reason I personally wouldn't use it. But each their own. If they are eating the melon, that's a good sign. Try them on some scrambled or boiled egg, just to help pick them up.

Ok. You do occasionally see people recommending it as a wormer so thought that must be why.
Can I suggest with all these illnesses and crop issues it may be worth giving them nothing but actual chook food for a bit in case all these extras are doing more harm then good.

Back
Top Bottom